Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jorge77777
Frequent Visitor

Deploying PBI-Reports on-premises: Alternatives

Hello, I have three questions, hopefully some one may be able to help.

1) So far I have got to the realization that I have to redue all my Power BI reports (buitlt using import data from SQL Server) if I want to use live conection to SSAS; however, I am worndering if in the mean time I could upload the reports in Power BI Report Server, for the user to triger the power BI application from there. I am just triying to organize the reports in the portal. Funny thing is that I was able to upload one of my previously created reports, but can not upload any other report becasue I got the error that the data is not supported. Why I could upload one of them, I have not idea?

2) Do I need to install the On-premises data gateway to be able to schedule data refresh for the reports decribed in the Question # 1, or if I want to deploy reports using life co

3) Why do I have to sign in and register my gateway when dowloading the On-premises data gateway, if I will be only reporting data located on-premises to user within the domeain. Does it expose my data  in some way?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind atention to this questions,

Regards,

Jorge 

Thank you in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jorge77777,

1) What is the current version of your Power BI Report Server? For August preview, it includes support for non-Analysis Services live connections. For June release, it only supports SSAS live connection. You said, "but can not upload any other report becasue I got the error that the data is not supported", what is the data souce in these pbix files?

2) Data gateway is used to configure scheduled refresh on Power BI service. For Power BI Report Sever, if the data source is live connected to SSAS, there is no need to configure schedule refresh for dataset.  Automatic refresh is supported. But if you load imported data into Power BI, currently scheduled refresh is not available.

3) For detailed description about gateway, please see this document: On-premises data gateway

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear Juliana, thank you very much for your answer and the links. I think that I have the June 2016 Power BI Report Server - Evaluation Edition, product version is 14.0.600.305. Do you recommend to reinstall Power BI Report Server August version. In that case, who do I call for support?

You ask: What is the data source in these pbix files?

Answer: The Data Source is SQL Server 2016 (Database Engine). What I want to do is to upload the Power BI report (SQL Server Data Source) version and allow the clients to download the PBI desktop application this way I gain time while I transfer the existing reports to SSAS life connection. My idea is to organize the reports in the PBI SSRS portal to get the customers used to visit the portal. The reason I am so concern about refreshing, is because if I am able to upload this reports in the portal, I need to refresh them and have then ready for the client to see; otherwise retrieving the data will be to time consuming for the clients, and the project will die.

Thank you very much for your support,

Jorge J 

Hi @Jorge77777,

If you are going to try Power BI Report Server August Preview, please be aware that the August release is a preview and not meant (yet) to be run in production. A preview release can only be run as evaluation edition which expires after 180days.

If possible, maybe you need to change the data source from SQL Sever DB to SSAS live connection.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Jorge77777 My guess is the one you got to work is the live connection to SSAS. That is the only supported data source currently in PBIRS. It has been communcated that the team is working on delivering the other datasources.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.