Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kevinerikwhite
Advocate I
Advocate I

Deleting a Power BI Workspace but keeping the Office 365 Group

We are hoping to clean up the numerous duplicate Power BI Workspaces that were created when everyone was allowed to create a workspace on a whim. We did it to one Workspace and found out that it deleted the entire 365 group and associated sharepoint and other files they wanted to keep.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Is there a way to simply delete the workspace but keep the Microsoft 365 group and everything that goes along with that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndrewJones
Regular Visitor

Creating a classic workspace binds it to an O365 group. New workspaces are not linked (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces). Convert the classic workspace to a new workspace, delete the workspace to leave the O365 group, SharePoint site and Teams team unaffected:

• Workspace
  • More
  • Edit this workspace
  • Advanced
  • Upgrade now
  • More
  • Workspace settings
  • Delete workspace

You must be an admin of the workspace.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
AndrewJones
Regular Visitor

Creating a classic workspace binds it to an O365 group. New workspaces are not linked (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces). Convert the classic workspace to a new workspace, delete the workspace to leave the O365 group, SharePoint site and Teams team unaffected:

• Workspace
  • More
  • Edit this workspace
  • Advanced
  • Upgrade now
  • More
  • Workspace settings
  • Delete workspace

You must be an admin of the workspace.

cgeraeds
Advocate I
Advocate I

If it's no more than 30 days ago you deleted the workspace it's possible to retreive the Sharepoint site. 

More information on how to do this can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/office365/admin/create-groups/restore-deleted-group?redirectSourceP...

This way the Power BI workspace will remain deleted and only the Sharepoint site and documents etc. that are included will be accessible again.

MB57630
Regular Visitor

Has anyone figured this out??

paulvandyck
Frequent Visitor

Got bit by this today.   If anyone has more information on this, please post it.

I've been looking into this and it seems if you have converted the O365 group into a Team, the Team and SharePoint will still remain if you delete the Power BI workspace. However it looks like the Outlook group will be deleted, as will the Stream group.

This would definitely be a change from last fall, because I deleted workspaces that were created by O365 groups that were auto-created by making a Team in Teams. And all of those Teams were DEFINITELY deleted. I think I lost a couple years of my life when I found that out.

Luckily infastructure was able to restore them. But I definitely almost had a heart attack.

I think in the hopefully near-ish future, you can convert the old workspaces to the new workspace experience and then delete them. At least this is what I am hoping with happen.

Is this planned Microsoft? A way to clean up my PowerBI site, and not needing to see all of my O365Groups which dont have any PowerBI at all.

I want to use only new workspaces, and delete the PBI part of the groups.

phyberoptx
Frequent Visitor

I have been trying to find this for over a year. A workspace was created for every office group, but not every office group needs a workspace.

JSnow
Frequent Visitor

I have the same question.  I can't seem to find a way to do this.

kevinerikwhite
Advocate I
Advocate I

Anyone have anything that could help me?

Any ideas ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.