Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yashbhutoria
Frequent Visitor

Data Source Authentication error in Power BI Server

The account I use for Data Source authentication shows following error

when checking "Log in using these credentials, but then try to impersonate the user viewing the report " option

but works fine after unchecking the option.

image.png

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue fixed after changing the password for the expired SSAS service startup account, and then restarting the service

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @yashbhutoria,

Which data sources do you get data from? For SQL Server databases, using the impersonation options sets the SETUSER function.

You can add a measure in a Power BI report: measure = username() to check which user impersonate when viewing the report and verify this user has permission to access data source. If it's Windows credentials, it should impersonate specified user. If it's database credential, it impersonates the unattended execution account or the service account. 

For more infomration, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-data/specify-credential-and-connectio...

By the way, try to update the Power BI report server to the latest version. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft and @yashbhutoria: we have this issue as well in our company, the user was admin but still receiving the error while saving the report. Is there any working solution found out as of now?

Yes, Just don't use Edge or Internet Explorer and it will work just fine

@yashbhutoria: we are using forms authentication, hence impersonation is required. We are always using chrome, still issue persists, we would like to use impersonate user feature. Any idea?

Try opening chrome as another user

I'm using SSAS Database. Kerberos authentication didn't succeed so, I tried authentication by entering credentials. The credentials works just fine untill I check that impersonate option.

PS: I have updated to latest version already.

I believe you need to add the account as admin on the SSAS server to be able to set EffectiveUserrName (i.em impersonate for SSAS).

May you please tell how to do it ?

Connect to your SSAS server, right click on the server, chose properties, chose security and add the account there. You need to be an SSAS admin or server admin to be able to do so.

Didn't work. Same error showing up.

Can you provide details of error from the log files

Where can I find those ?

On the server, where you installed the PBI Reprot Server, there's a folder called LogFiles, which contains log files for every service.

Hey! just found out that it was fault of Microsoft Edge browser. It works fine in Google Chrome. Thanks Anyways!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI

I have the same issue even with Chrome

The user is admin and i'm using SSAS Database and PBI RS May 2022

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.