Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboarding Declined

Is there an explanation why on premise dashboarding has been declined? This was heavily voted on and then removed in one day. I fully understand if this is not a benefit due to the time and effort required but I believe it needs to be explained why it has been removed.

Again I ask for a roadmap on what is upcoming as not one of the top ideas is labelled at started or in progress. Is on-premise just going to get updates that the cloud version has or can we please get things that they aready have. Such as ESRI mapping etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I understand not everyone is happy with the decision, but the only thing that really changed is I don't think it's fair to leave something in a status that doesn't match the reality only so we don't get people upset.  This wasn't a recent decision or update and is in line with what we've been saying publicly for awhile - if you listen to the presentation from Ignite 2017, which was early October of last year (https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/Microsoft-Ignite-Orlando-2017/BRK2156), we said the same thing to the audience around the plans for this feature and where we were going to take the box product going forward.  

Hope this helps a bit in the understanding, and I promise we'll always be transparent about things around what we're doing with the box.  

Chris

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@riccardomuti, @mgmeyer

Can you assist us here with any comments please? Just wanted to understand the reasoning.

I understand not everyone is happy with the decision, but the only thing that really changed is I don't think it's fair to leave something in a status that doesn't match the reality only so we don't get people upset.  This wasn't a recent decision or update and is in line with what we've been saying publicly for awhile - if you listen to the presentation from Ignite 2017, which was early October of last year (https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/Microsoft-Ignite-Orlando-2017/BRK2156), we said the same thing to the audience around the plans for this feature and where we were going to take the box product going forward.  

Hope this helps a bit in the understanding, and I promise we'll always be transparent about things around what we're doing with the box.  

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

However the scenarios or plans, this features should be avaialabe on Power BI Report Server ASAP, may be with Aug18 update will be awsome.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too was dismayed to to get the email too.  I am beginning to feel Power BI ReportServer is seen as a "teaser" product by MS to drive clients to the MS cloud.  I dont think MS is really wanting to put too many people or too much $$ in to the ReportServer product.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that Power BI Report Server seems like a taster version to try and get organisations to go into the cloud.

However quite a few organisations will never go into the cloud and with everything going on around GDPR at the moment then organisations are becoming very wary about the control of data.

It feels that Power BI Report Server users have been left out to dry by Microsoft with no valid explanation!

Anonymous
Not applicable

jdenne,

I 100% agree with your post. There are clients that will never be able to go to the cloud and if feel abandoned by MS will quickly switch to one of many competing products.  GDPR and the many hacks that have ocurred are in fact making companies rethink or at least move more slowly the "all cloud" based strategies.

I hope PBI ReportServer doesnt go the way of some previous killer MS products like Windows Media Center, Home Server, Proclarity (after MS purchase) etc... just because of a short sighted focus on expanding one business unit within MS. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that "cloud" based data services are going to have to fundamentally rethink the handling of data and data soveriegnty because this is going to become an increasingly important issue as companies relaise the value of their data and will be less willing to "expose" it on other poeples clouds. that's before the leagl and social changes that will take place in this area. GDPR is an interesting example of sovereign states starting to apply some rigour to how data is handled, processed, treated etc. I suspect similarly stringent conditions will end up being implemented between companies exchanging or hosting data. Whihc makes me wonder if we will be reversing some of this move to the cloud in years to come.

All of this is of course strikingly easy to fix for the cloud service. they just need to implement bring your own key. If your infrastructure and data are encrypted with kesy that MS don't have we, and I suspect many others, would be in a position to use PBI cloud.

That they've resorted to producing an on premise version suggests they're meeting far more resistance to moving this stuff to the cloud than they expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

Like you we are very disappointed by this decision. Unfortunately I take a slightly more cynical line to you, its been declined because Microsoft want us all to pay for Azure services, simple as that.

What's wrong here is that Microsoft are not being honest and open with us, they are toying with the On-Prem solution but really don't want to make it so good it becomes the preferred option for Enterprise development.

Microsoft prove me wrong, listen to what we are saying, publish a road map for the PBI Report Server, give us a clear commitment to make it a full enterprise solution and start to manage the releases in a more professional way, i.e. let us know before hand what is coming in the next release, and when it is coming.

Rob

markc
Frequent Visitor

I was a little disheartened too when I saw that email this morning. My company, as with hundreds of others, can't put our data in the cloud due to various state statutes. I was hoping to get on premise dashboards at some point in the future.

Sometimes it feels as though on premise is an after thought.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors