Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom visuals do not render in browser

We have issue with any custom visual that we include in PBIX files that we upload to our local PowerBI Report Server. Report works fine with default visuals, and also works fine with any custom visual while we work with PowerBI Desktop for RS. Within PowerBI Desktop for RS (latest version) all visuals render and work correctly.

But if we save report to our PowerBI Report Server and browse it with web browser, it does not render any custom visual, only default visuals.

In place of any custom visual it gives error "To see this custom visual, add it to this report first".

PowerBI Report Server has full access to internet.

Result is same regardless how we set property "EnableCDNVisuals".

I would appreciate any help, since there is almost no information on internet about this error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alipat
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for reporting the issue, 

We addressed the problem, and the fix will be included in the coming QFE December Release.

Till that time, you can try using a workaround: 

Add a URL parameter to your URL: ?consumePublicCvsWithoutRps=1 

for example:

http://servername/Reports/powerbi/reportname?consumePublicCvsWithoutRps=1

The imported custom visuals should start working 

@Anonymous @Erwin_0815 @DoctaJones 

Thanks,

Alexandra 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has the december 2022 PowerBI for report Server  been released yet?

If it has, whats the URL to get to it?  All I can see is the September 2022 download

Hi @Anonymous 

The fix has been released as September 2022 QFE. It can be downloaded here: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57270 

It is still called September release, but you can see that Published date was changed, it's the new version with the fix 

v-alipat
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone! 

Power BI Report Server September 2022 QFE build is now available! It has fixes for ODBC refresh, custom visuals, weekday schedule, and some more changes. Changelog will be updated soon 😊 

@chucky69 @Anonymous @Anonymous @Erwin_0815 @DoctaJones 

v-alipat
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for reporting the issue, 

We addressed the problem, and the fix will be included in the coming QFE December Release.

Till that time, you can try using a workaround: 

Add a URL parameter to your URL: ?consumePublicCvsWithoutRps=1 

for example:

http://servername/Reports/powerbi/reportname?consumePublicCvsWithoutRps=1

The imported custom visuals should start working 

@Anonymous @Erwin_0815 @DoctaJones 

Thanks,

Alexandra 

Hello,

We are in December and the problem is not solved.

Indeed, the workaround works very well technically but it is not suitable with a large volume of users and reports.

Is the update coming soon?

Thanks

hi @chucky69 , 

yes, the update is coming within next two weeks 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alexandra

Is there a setting in PowerBI Report server to change this workarond into be the default in the report portal or does it have to be manually added to each URL by hand?

Mickeal 

hi @Anonymous, unfortanutely, there is no such setting or config in Report Server, but fix is coming within two next weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Alexandra,

Thank You very much for solving our problem. Suggested solution works.

DoctaJones
Regular Visitor

I am also having the same issue, recently upgrade the on premise Power BI Report Server to the September releases, and encountered this exact issue. 

Did not have an issue with previous releases.  

For us ANY imported visual will not render when visited to the Power BI Report server's URL. 

Currently have an open support ticket with Microsoft who did confirm this is a bug and are replicating it in their environments and are suppose to come back with some potential work arounds. 

If what they offer corrects my issue i'll be posting the fix here as well.

Hello together!

I've the same problem since the update Sep 2022 .
The standard-visuals are working, but if I add any custom-visuals to the report, the RS no longer displays them.
In Reports, I generated before the update Sep 2022, the same custom-visuals are still displayed without any problems ...the problem exists only with reports that I created after the update.
Is there an answer from MS in the meantime?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not receive any answer from MS about this. Our consultant recommended to wait december 2022 update

Anonymous
Not applicable

DoctaJones thank you, I would appreciate any information you receive on this topic.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Custom visuals are going to be dicey in PBRS. See this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Limitations-of-Power-BI-on-Report-Server-Be-Advised/m-p/1990529

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You Greg for the info.

I know about this page. This is rather simple thing with 2 options which should be visible on MS site:

1. "Custom visuals do not work on PBI Report Server."

2. "In order to use custom visuals with PBI Report Server you need to do this and this..."

In case 1 - no one would use it. And for case 2 there is absolutely no info on the internet about it. 

I put RS logging to verbose, and checked all log tables and log files and there is nothing related to this problem. Execution log shows DAX command received and executed for measures on report, but it shows no errors whatsoever.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.