Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Marcin_PL
Helper I
Helper I

Creating connection in model...

Hello,

I've observed a small but awkward and confusing change when refreshing data in Power BI Desktop September 2021.

After clicking "refresh" I get "Evaluating..." and "Waiting.." statuses like before for some time, but after that all sources have "Creating connection in model" for the whole time of downloading data to the model and the next status is just a confirmation sign. Of course, I have observed this on data sources which need more than a few seconds to download:)

Marcin_PL_0-1637854876288.png

Marcin_PL_1-1637855459198.png

Before upgrading to September 2021 version, after "Creating connection in model" status it was another with information how much rows is already downloaded and the number of rows was updated every second. It was very helpful because it was possible to estimate how much time I need to refresh whole data. Now, it is impossible.

Moreover, when the connection really can't be created (for example because of high CPU % in SQL Server or some other blocking sessions in the database) developer can not realize if he has to do something or just wait..

Has someone observed the same? Is it a bug? or maybe it can be somehow changed in Options?

Regards,

Marcin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Marcin_PL wrote:

Has someone observed the same? Is it a bug? 

This a bug with the status reporting in the Sept 2021 release that has been raised a number of times on this forum. I believe Microsoft are looking to fix this, but I'm not sure when it's planned to be released. Worst case I hope this would at least be fixed in the next major release (January 2022)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AhmedSamir

I have the same problem and i can not solve it

njg
Frequent Visitor

Hi, this may not be the same issue, but it seems related and i am not sure where to put this solution i discovered when my report would not finish refreshing due to being 'stuck' on the 'creating connection in model' step.  When i went Ctrl end on one of my tables it showed that my table was massively huge although i only actually had 200 rows and 20 columns of data.  I found the easiest (surest) way to fix it was to copy paste my data to a new worksheet, then deleted the old and renamed the worksheet the same as the old one.

Jolvay

In my case the problem was because for any reason, the input excel file, added hundreds of columns.

I just remove them and it worked.

Hi Jolvay,

The issue that I mentioned in this topic was a bug in September 2021 PBI Desktop and as far as I remember it was solved in the next release (Version: 2.97.2222.0 of September's 2021 PBI Desktop). 

Probably your problem was connected with the input file, as "Creating connection in model" status is a standard status observed when connecting to the data source.

Regards,

Marcin

FSmyth
Regular Visitor

Hi @Burningsuit this is the issue in power bi desktop when undertaking a refresh the data shows a constant creating connections in the model

Hi @FSmyth 

It looks like it could be. Getting data out of Sharepoint is notoriously slow. It could be that if you just wait at "creating connection in model" it will evenually return. It's going to depend on the amount of Data you have to import and the speed of the server providing it. 

You should check the Issues forum here:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues
To see if anyone else has raised the issue and if it is not there, then you could post it.
Alternatively if you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Hope this helps

Stuart

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Marcin_PL wrote:

Has someone observed the same? Is it a bug? 

This a bug with the status reporting in the Sept 2021 release that has been raised a number of times on this forum. I believe Microsoft are looking to fix this, but I'm not sure when it's planned to be released. Worst case I hope this would at least be fixed in the next major release (January 2022)

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, i am having issues refreshing the model. I am getting a message of "creating connection in model," timeout issues.

this was working previously, however, there are issues when linking now to a sharepoint location.

kind regards,

peter

Thanks for the confirmation.

Marcin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.