Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cnschulz
Helper IV
Helper IV

Creating and or customising user roles on Power BI report server

Hi, 

We are using Power BI report server March 2018. I have a dev server set up and I am trying to expand user access to allow users to create their own schedules and manage reports. It seems that I would have to assign "System Administrator" to do this. I have read other articles suggesting I can add roles and/or customise them. I can't find this facility anywhere! Is someone able to tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance

Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a side note I can only get SSMS to connect to my PBI-SSRS instance if I use a URL instead of a servername/path. So somehting like http://SERVER_NAME/ReportServerPBI

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
asadrazadevops

To create a new user in the power bi report server, you need to complete these 2 tasks only.

TASK-1: 🔥CREATE A USER IN THE DOMAIN SERVER/ NETWORK.

in my case, I'm using windows server 2019, So I create a new guest user or add this user to the MSSQL server database.

TASK-2: 🚀ADD THIS USER IN POWER BI. REPORT SERVER WITH CUSTOM PERMISSION.

1. Go to the PBI report server node.

2. Go to manage folder and click Security.

3. Click ADD group/user.

4. or assign the role which you want to assign. 
  5. Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 1.40.41 PM.png 

6. You can login to the new user on the URL: my-power-bi-report-server/Reports/.

I hope it saves your day. 

@syedasadrazadevops

ashrin
Helper I
Helper I

on the powerbi report server web page, click on the gear button on the top right side, then go to site settings -> Security and here add the users and what role you want them to have. 

Also include the Domain of your network when entering the username like this : 'DOMAIN\username'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a side note I can only get SSMS to connect to my PBI-SSRS instance if I use a URL instead of a servername/path. So somehting like http://SERVER_NAME/ReportServerPBI

Thank you so much! That was the key. I thought that the reporting services in SSMS was not compatible with PBI as none of our servers were connecting. I NEVER would have thought to do this. Cheers.

really this is great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.