Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create scheduled Refresh when data source is Excel from shared drive

Hi, 

A very simple Report was created and published on our on-premise PBI Report server. The data source is an excel file, hosted on shared drive ( like \\XXX\yyyy\filename.xlsx). The report works fine.

Connection to the datasource is successful. 
But when I  try to Create New scheduled refresh plan I am getting an error "Something went wrong. Please try again later."
Already restarted PBI Server twice 🙂

The only error that I found in Log file is:

|ERROR|19|OData exception occurred: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with an empty response.
at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SetConnectionProtocol()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SoapMethodWrapper`1.ExecuteMethod(Boolean setConnectionProtocol)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(String itemPath, String description, String eventType, String matchData, ParameterValue[] parameters)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapRS2010Proxy.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<CreateCacheRefreshPlan>b__0()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapAuthenticationHelper.ExecuteWithWindowsAuth[TReturn](SoapHttpClientProtocol soapClient, IPrincipal userPrincipal, Func`1 func)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SubscriptionService.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(IPrincipal userPrincipal, CacheRefreshPlan cacherefreshPlan)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V2.Controllers.CacheRefreshPlansController.AddEntity(CacheRefreshPlan entity)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Controllers.Reflection.EntitySetReflectionODataController`1.Post(ODataPath oDataPath, T value)
at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

Can anybody help with any idea about additional troubleshooting? Maybe someone has any experience how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Elena Mitlin

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I was abble to fix the problem.

The issue was that Web Service URL need to  had a different name from Web Portal URL.

I changed and saved the names in Report Server Configuration manager, but i didn't work.

After full re-install of RS PowerBI with a correct configuration Refresh option  starts to work.

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

the Power BI service account should have access to the directory where you stored the XLSX file.   More than likely that is your problem.   You should ensure that service account has at least Read access to that directory.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thansk you for answer!!

The excel file stored on my share drive that I have full access to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.