Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mark_Clipsham
Frequent Visitor

Converting a Pre-Existing Power Bi Desktop Report into a Paginated Report

Hi there,

I have previously developed a large (100+ page) report in Power Bi desktop that we utilise as an impact report for our customers, providing it to them as a PDF format using Power Bi desktops export as PDF function (ctrl+P). Needless to say this presents a wide array of issues and is definitely not the most efficient way of doing things.

I've recently discovered and begun looking into Paginated reports as a better method of producing this report regularly for our customers, and was wondering is there a quick way to basically copy a power bi desktop report over to the report builder? Overall I'm happy with the look and feel of the current Power Bi desktop report so I'm really just looking to recreate it in the report builder.

Many thanks,  

4 REPLIES 4
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mark_Clipsham ,

How about using Power BI Service and sharing your report to your customers?

If you don't want extra charge, you can try to use Publish to web. But when you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. Viewing requires no authentication. It includes viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate. Before publishing a report, make sure it's okay for you to share the data and visualizations publicly. Don't publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ponnusamy
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@Mark_Clipsham : There is no option to convert Power BI Desktop (PBIX) file to Power BI Paginated (RDL) file directly. There are tools available to convert from SSRS RDL to   Power BI (paginated reports) RDL as part of Power BI migration. The ".rdl" file is basically a  defintion file using JSON.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/migrate-ssrs-reports-to-power-bi

@ponnusamy wrote:

There are tools available to convert from RDL to PBIX as part Power BI migration. 

Actually I don't think these tools exist either. There is a migration tool to migrate from on-prem SSRS to the cloud paginated reports as there are only a few minor differences. But there is nothing to convert between RDL and PBIX that I am aware of. The two engines are fundamentality different in the way they generate reports.

@d_gosbell : Thanks, I had mentioned PBIX instead of Power BI Paginated by mistake. I will update it

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.