Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jozef_KaBa

Connection to IBM SPSS Data Collection

Hi all,

My I kindly ask you to advise, how to connect PBI to IBM SPSS Data collection (formally called  Dimensions)?

I have used OLE DB, but when I try to connect via IBM SPSS Data Collection DM-2, and pres "Next", my PBI crashes and automatically closes itself.

Thanks a lot.

Jozef_KaBa_0-1620839035919.png

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jozef_KaBa ,

I don't have IBM SPSS Data collection. So I can't test for you.

Since PBI crashes and automatically closes itself, could you close all other unnecessary process and test it again?

Or, you can try to use the latest one published on 5/12/2021 and test it again.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Icey,

I have uploaded my PBi version to May 2021, but the error stil remains.

Jozef_KaBa_0-1621336313640.png

I have reported it to PBi center. Many thanks. Jozef

Hi @Jozef_KaBa ,

I will try to reproduce the issue you encountered as much as possible.

Before solving the issue, you can consider using R or Python to import SPSS data instead. You can refer to these posts:

Import SPSS file in to Power BI – Using Python, savReaderWriter library – Data Analytics and BI Blog...;

Re: Import SPSS file into Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Actually, via R, there is a possibility to at least load SPSS data. Unfortunately, variable labels seem to be lost, so I support this idea to improve Power Bi with a dataconnector for SPSS files, but this is a way to get data from SPSS to Power BI:

# 1. Install R https://mran.microsoft.com/open/

# 2. Install Microsoft R Client https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-r/r-client-get-started
# 3. Now go to PowerBI, go to Get data > More > Other > R script and copy/paste this R script:

spssFile <- file.path("d:\\yourpath\\yourfile.sav");
tempFile <- "c:\\temp\\temp.xdf";
tempData <- rxImport(inData = spssFile, outFile = tempFile, overwrite=TRUE);
spssData <- rxFactors(inData=tempData, sortLevels=TRUE,factorInfo=c("weegvar"));

# In the first line, be sure to enter the path to your SPSS file and use double slashes (\\)
# In the last line, enter a variable in your dataset to sort on
# Reference and more info: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-r/scaler-user-guide-data-import

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.