Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dataviznz
Helper II
Helper II

Connection problem to MySQL data source from PBIRS

When attempting to connect to a MySQL datasource from PBIRS under Manage > Data sources I get the following error:

MySQL: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'. This error could've been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer. To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'MySQL Connector/Net': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=278885

How to solve this? Does this mean that in order to connect to MySQL the Power BI Report Server actually has to run a MySQL driver itself? Is there a MySQL driver available for Windows Servers?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dataviznz,

What do you mean "attempting to connect to a MySQL datasource from PBIRS under Manage > Data sources"? Do you attempt to update the data source connection for an existing PBI report? Or creating a data source for a new report? Were you able to connect to MySQL DB in Power BI desktop?

From above error message, it prompts that you should download and install the latest version of client software 'mysql-connector-net-6.6.5.msi' from here.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana, thank you for taking the time to respond to my query.

The report I have created in Power Bi Desktop RS connects succesfully to a MySQL database. However, when I publish the report to PBIRS, and click on the 'three dots', go to 'Manage' > 'Data sources' and then test the MySQL connection it returns the error message I mentioned earlier.

As this attempted MySQL connection happens on the PBIRS (server) why would I have to install a MySQL driver on my local machine? Or do I need to install MySQL on Windows Server as indicated in my first post? If so, which version of MySQL?

Hi,

I had a similar issue when saving a report to the PBIRS using a MySQL data source. I managed to get it resolved, I had to install MySQL Connector/NET on the Windows Server hosting PBIRS. I then set up my scheduled refresh plan and it is currently working as expected.

Hope this helps.

Fareed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.