Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connection Power BI App to Report Server, Pro License required?

Hi there

We currently run Power BI Report Server on Prem and would now like to share reports to mobile devices.  

In the Power BI App on Mobile devices there is an option to 'Connect to Server - Report server'.

Do the users who open the Power BI App on their phone or tablet require a Power BI Pro License to connect to the on prem report server?

When a user connects to Power BI Report Server from their Mobile Device through Report Server, is the authentication as per on prem (eg same credictials as via web browser on prem)

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dustinn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous,

See below answers in blue.

1. Do the users who open the Power BI App on their phone or tablet require a Power BI Pro License to connect to the on prem report server? We tried it with an account that doesn't have Power BI pro license nor activated Pro trial and can confirm it still access the data on report server (though we haven't tried if it will work without signing in to Power BI and go directly to Report Server). The only limit is that your Power BI App should be in the same network with your Power BI Report Server. 

2. When a user connects to Power BI Report Server from their Mobile Device through Report Server, is the authentication as per on prem (eg same credictials as via web browser on prem) - Yes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dustinn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous,

See below answers in blue.

1. Do the users who open the Power BI App on their phone or tablet require a Power BI Pro License to connect to the on prem report server? We tried it with an account that doesn't have Power BI pro license nor activated Pro trial and can confirm it still access the data on report server (though we haven't tried if it will work without signing in to Power BI and go directly to Report Server). The only limit is that your Power BI App should be in the same network with your Power BI Report Server. 

2. When a user connects to Power BI Report Server from their Mobile Device through Report Server, is the authentication as per on prem (eg same credictials as via web browser on prem) - Yes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.