Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

koinovi
Frequent Visitor

Connect to local DB SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition from Report Server Configuration Manager

On Local machine AAA:

(1) Install MS SQL Server 2016 Developer (13.0.4206.0, SP1, Developer Edition (64-bit))

(2) Install Power BI Report Server (license version)

(3) Upgrade Power BI Report Server to Power BI Report Server August 2017 public preview.

(4) Start Report Server Configuration Manager -> I'm try config Database on second step get message (Test connection successful):

"The Database engine instance you selected is not valid for this edition of report server...."

001.png

On the other machine BBB, I'm do all step from (1) to (4) successful.

But on machine BBB MS SQL Server 2016 is Enterprise Edition (13.0.4206.0, SP1, Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit)), as result PBIRS work fine with local DB on machine BBB.

I'm try connect to DB from machine AAA to BBB -> work fine.

As a result, PBIRS not work with MS SQL Server 2016 DEVELOPER Edition? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @koinovi,

Based on my research, the Developer edition database engine can't host the Power BI report server catalog database. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/reporting-services-features-supported-by-the...

@mgmeyer @Jon-HeideCan you share the detail list of database engine editions that are supported to host Power BI report server August preview? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @koinovi,

Based on my research, the Developer edition database engine can't host the Power BI report server catalog database. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/reporting-services-features-supported-by-the...

@mgmeyer @Jon-HeideCan you share the detail list of database engine editions that are supported to host Power BI report server August preview? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello @koinovi,

I am running my development server exactly with this configuration and it is running fine.

I'm deleted on machine AAA PBIRS and SQL Server an install again.

Result - not work. 

Any ideas?

Maybe this error writes in LOG file, with more detail? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.