Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sfairchild

Configuration Manager RBAC

With the release of Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager 2002, Microsoft added support for integrating Power BI into the Configuration Manager console

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-2002#bk...

I installed the Power BI Report Server and configured Configuration Manager to use it following this guide.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/servers/manage/powerbi-report-server

Everything works. I can create dashboards and reports querying Configuration Manager views in the SQL database.

I want to create a Power BI dashboard that shows statistics of devices, but I only want to show the collections the user has rights to, not all devices/collections. This is easily accomplished in SSRS by enabling RBAC (Role Based Access Control) on the report.

The SQL views available in the Configuration Manager database do not support RBAC so instead I need to query Functions. This works when creating SSRS reports, but I cannot for the life of me find out how to do the same thing in Power BI.

When creating SSRS Reports, I create a hidden parameter that calls the following code which gets the user's SID, and the SID of any groups they are a member of, from Active Directory:

=SrsResources.UserIdentity.GetUserSIDs(User!UserID)

How can I call this method on my local Power BI Report Server where the SrsResources.dll is registered?

With Microsoft officially supporting Power BI integration with Configuration Manager, configuring RBAC in Power BI should be available.

Thanks,
Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For anybody else who is searching for this, it is not possible.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @sfairchild 

Please check if this document is helpful to you.

configure-role-based-administration 

And it is suggest to create a support ticket for better advice.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Eason,

Thank you for the reply. The link you provide shows how to configure RBAC in Configuration Manager. I already have that setup. I need Power BI to honor it.

Looking at this problem from a different perspective, I can ask the same question in a different way.

In SSRS I can reference external dll's and native .NET assemblies in the report properties. I can also enter custom VB.NET functions into the Code section in report properties. In addition, I can have report parameters call .NET functions to populate the value.

I do that with Power BI Report Server running on-premise in the datacenter when creating SSRS reports. I need to know how to do the same thing with Power BI reports running on-premise in the datacenter.

Thanks,
Scott

For anybody else who is searching for this, it is not possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.