Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Circular relationship

Hello,

I´m creating a new Report and need to create a relationship between the Date and Customers tables to calculate de number of Customers whose registration date is equal to the selected date.

I can´t create this relationship because this causes a circular relationship.

Can you help me to solved this problem?CircularRelationship.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You should be able to solve this by creating an inactive relationship between the Date and Clientes tables

2020-01 inactive rel.png

Then creating a measure with the USERELATIONSHIP function to activate this relationship for that measure.

Cliente Registrations = CALCULATE( countrows(Clientes), USERELATIONSHIP(Clientes[Fecha_Alta], Dates[Date]))

This will allow you to see other measures using the active relationship, but just for the count of client registrations to use the relationship between Clientes and Dates

eg.

2020-01 inactive rel result.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

it depends on full your data model, but try to set Both direction on either Clientes-Date or Cabecera-Date relationships

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @az38 

Thanks for yor answer.

I can't set both directions on the Cabecera-Date relationship because I have different measures in the Cabecera table. Some of these measures use SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

that's what i mean: for help show please your data model (example of data, measures and point where the error appears)

LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I show you a data example on the picture with the measures. The relation between Cabecera and Clientes use the ID_CLIENTE column. The relacionship between Date and Cabecera use the column FECHA.DataExample.PNG

I need to calculate the number of new customers by month (second graph) and filter all report by year. Example:

ReportExample.PNG

You should be able to solve this by creating an inactive relationship between the Date and Clientes tables

2020-01 inactive rel.png

Then creating a measure with the USERELATIONSHIP function to activate this relationship for that measure.

Cliente Registrations = CALCULATE( countrows(Clientes), USERELATIONSHIP(Clientes[Fecha_Alta], Dates[Date]))

This will allow you to see other measures using the active relationship, but just for the count of client registrations to use the relationship between Clientes and Dates

eg.

2020-01 inactive rel result.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.