Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Lorenz33
Helper III
Helper III

Cannot import custom visual from marketplace

Hello,

We are keeping our reports on premise using Microsoft Power BI Report Server. As for our development tool we are using Power BI Desktop optimized for Report Server Version: 2.69.5467.1801 64-bit (May, 2019).

When we try and import a custom visual from the marketplace a "Sign in" window comes up. I enter my email address and a window comes up with:

Title: Sign up for a Power BI account

Message: You don't seem to have an account for Power BI. Please click the button to sign up.

I click the button and a Microsoft Power BI Get Started web page opens. I enter my email address and click "Sign up". A message is then displayed: "Sorry..." "We can't finish signing you up." "Your IT department has turned off signup for Microsoft Power BI. Contact them to complete signup."

It is my understanding that sign up is needed for using the Power BI service. Why are we getting prompted to sign up to import a custom visual from the marketplace  when using on Power BI optimized for Reporting Services. Since it is specialized for on premises development why are we getting prompted to sign up for Power BI? 

2 REPLIES 2
rpatkar
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

On-prem Power BI Report Server does not have a custom visuals marketplace. To get them you will need to use the service.

Thank you for the info. I wonder why this option would be even displayed in Power BI Desktop for Report Server as this application is specifically designed for on premise usage?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors