Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anhngv
Helper III
Helper III

Cannot expand next hierarchy in Matrix

I found an issue in a visual in Power BI service.

I have a hierarchy of Rows: Month -> Week -> FltDate. But I cannot expand to the level of FltDate.

And when I try fixing it in edit mode, removing and re-inserting FltDate to the Rows, it works. But when I save the report and reopen it in view mode, everything remains, it cannot be expanded

anhngv_0-1640171082113.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I try to remove and reinstate 'Month' again to Rows field and It's now OK somehow.

There is nothing wrong with the pbix file, it works well in PBI Desktop. It's about the report mode in PBI Service.

Besides I cannot share the file because it queries data from our company server.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @anhngv ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.And if not ,could you pls share your pbix file ,and remove confidential data.

Best Regards
Lucien

I try to remove and reinstate 'Month' again to Rows field and It's now OK somehow.

There is nothing wrong with the pbix file, it works well in PBI Desktop. It's about the report mode in PBI Service.

Besides I cannot share the file because it queries data from our company server.

Hello,

I have tried to remove and add back the field in the node that is not expaning but it is not resolving the issue. Any other recommendations that could be provided to find a resolution to why the node is not expanding?

Thank you!

I've come across this bug as well. You expand a node, and nothing appears under it. Work around is to edit the page, remove the lowest level field and readd it.

It's not just limited to date data types. I am using customer Bill To names drilling down to Ship To names.

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Check the datatype of the FltDate once and also double check on the filters applied by hovering over the funnel on the top left corner of the visual.

It could be that there is no data for displaying because of the filters applied

FltDate is datetype and also marked as date table and there is always data at date level. And this issue occurs in PBI service only. When I go to edit mode (in the service), remove and bring it back, it works well. But when I save and go to report mode, it fails again :(.

This is in the edit mode, after I remove and reinstate it:

anhngv_0-1640274902842.png

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

That's strange.

Have you tried expanding the hierarchy using the drill down button of matrix?

PC2790_0-1640324810881.png

Ya, that's weird, it's some kind of error.

I tried drill down button or right clicked on the row then chose expand/drill down as well but it cannot go to next level of hierachy.

There are negative signs on the rows of Week number, which indicates it's has been expanded but nothing there inside.

anhngv_0-1640330266897.png

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Is it possible for you to share the sample pbix file?

It's so inconvenient but I have to remove Month level and keep Week and Date level only. I hope this error will soon be fixed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.