Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

boland0980
Regular Visitor

Cannot add users or groups in report server portal

Hi,

I just installed the latest version of PBI report server and also the PBI desktop RS version.

I have successsfully created and publised some reports to the report server and can view them in my browser.

The problem is that I cannot grant other active directory users or groups access to view any of these reports, without granting them admin access to the server hosting the report server.

When i select "Manage" on an individual report in the portal and go to the security settings, I click on "Add group or user" but the text box where I need to enter the new user will not accept any text, therefore I'm unable to add any user.

Has anyone come across this issue? Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Yuliana,

A restart of the server hosting the PBI report server seems to do the trick.. Oops.

Thanks again for getting back

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @boland0980,

Did you get any error message why entered user account in the text box? Please make sure the domian name and user name you specified are correct. Also, please make sure your computer is located under the same domian. Besides, did you log on report server with an admin role? Have you tried to restart PBI report server service for a test?

In my test, I could grant proper access to other users successfully.

1.PNG1.PNG3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft , Hello 

We have a report in Power BI server and is unable to remove the row-level access for two users: DOMAIN\USERA and DOMAIN\USERB. There is a message saying: The user or group name 'DOMAIN\USERA' is not recognized. Same as the one im seeing in your screenshot ... 

Consequently, this also makes us unable to add new users as we are also getting the same prompt that either DOMAIN\USERA or DOMAIN\USERB aren't recognized. 

DOMAIN\USERA and DOMAIN\USERB are inactive accounts and no longer part of the active directory. 

Can you help us advise on what is the cause of this message and how we can get this resoved? Thanks a bunch!

Hello @Louise,

I am facing this same issue.

Can you help me, if you have found any solution ?

Thank You !

Thanks Yuliana,

A restart of the server hosting the PBI report server seems to do the trick.. Oops.

Thanks again for getting back

I am having the same problem, but restating server is not giving the soultion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors