Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Staj

Cannot Save As/Upload PBIX to Report Server

Running Power BI Report Server Version 1.6.7364.4075 (January 2020)

Running Power BI Desktop optimised for Report Server 2.76.5678.1521 64-bit (January 2020).

Paginated Reports render fine, I can browser the RSPortal fine and I can use Report Builder fine.

I have a test PBIX file with nothing but a Text box, cannot Save As to the Report Server within Power BI Desktop; produced error "An error occured while attempting to save the report to Power BI Report Server"

If I save the PBIX to local file system and upload it directly through the RSPortal, I instead get the error "There was an error uploading your .pbix file. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.". Reopening the same file in Power BI Desktop is fine.

The folder on the Report Server that the PBIX is being uploaded to has the appropriate permissions for the user/security principal Power BI Desktop is being run under and the user that is logged into RSPortal attempting the upload manually. PBIDesktop log does have a warning that is produced when attempting to save the PBIX to the Report Server (I've redacted some metadata):

{
	"Action":"PBI.PQ.SaveDiscardInternal",
	"actionId":"SaveDocumentInternal",
	"entryPoint":"EditorRibbonButtonPowerBISharePublish",
	"errorCode":"UnprocessableEntity",
	"message":"   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SSRSService.SSRSPbixFile.<Save>d__26.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<CopyTempToFile>d__27.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<TrySaveBIPackage>d__22.MoveNext()"
}

RSPortal log on the server is empty. RSPowerBI, RSOffice, RSManagement, RSHostingService, ReportingServicesService logs show nothing of interest, just normal start-up entries. We have no side-by-side SSRS on the server instances. HTTP(S) bindings for Web Service and Web Portal have been redone. Report Server Service Account has been tried under Network Service and Virtual Service Account, problem exists with both.

2 REPLIES 2
BobbyS_4000

I have this exact same issue with this version, and mine is a brand new build. Get the same errors and it occurs whether I use the portal to upload a file or if I use Power BI Desktop (optimized for PBIRS downloaded from the PBIRS portal).

I too have nothing in the RSPortal logs to give me any idea why it is happening.

Did you come across a solution for this at all?

Staj

There is Error log entry in the Application Event Log on PBIRS startup but it has no friendly schema.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="MSOLAP$PBIRS" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="49441">25</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>289</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="REDACTED" /> 
  <EventRecordID>REDACTED</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>REDACTED</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>msmdsrvi.rll</Data> 
  <Data>3081</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.