Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NigelDalley
Regular Visitor

Cannot Create Scheduled Refresh Plan

I have installed Report Server (October 2017 version) and the correct desktop app.  I can create a report (using Import option) and upload it to the Report Server ok.  Report runs fine...  I then created a data source which tested ok.

The problem is that when I try to create a Scheduled Refresh Plan I get an error message 'Something went wrong - Please try again later' .  I can create a template Scheduled Refresh Plan under Site Settings and this has successfully created a SQL Agent job on the database.  Yet even when I try to create a Refresh Plan against a report using this - it still fails. 

The Report Server Service Account is running under 'Network Service' and the config file has the entry <RSWindowsNTLM/> within <AuthenticationTypes>.  According to documentation I have read this is the only Authentication  Type required when running service under 'Network Service'.  I have also ensured <IsDataModelRefreshService> has the value True.

I have set the verbose logging level to 4 and gone through the log files including  (RSPowerBI...log) but cannot find anything which identifies the issue.

Has anybody else had this problem and resolved it? Or is the functionality not available in this version? 

Any advice would be very appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
odi3
Frequent Visitor

I fought with getting this to work for a straight week.....

to schedule refresh a report, the execution account must have "system user" permissions.

the system administrator permission alone does not allow a user to schedule refresh a report.

Some other things to try:

Set the execution account in the setup of power bi to a specific user

make sure sql server has the proper permissions for that user

make sure the powerbi server cog->settings->site settings->security is giving access to that user

Make sure the user has permissions to the report. rightclick on the report -> security -> add user

Hope this works for you!

Thanks @odi3

Will check it out....

Just to clarify - regarding 'Set the execution account in the setup of power bi to a specific user' - are you referring to the service account power bi is running under as currently it is using 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' ?

Thanks again for suggestions...

services account and execution account are two different things.

Service account is the top item in the power bi install screen whereas execution account is about the 5th item down.

To use scheduled refresh, you do not have to modify the services account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.