Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot Create Scheduled Refresh Plan (Report Server August 2018)

Hi

I'm trying to create a scheduled refresh plan using:

• PowerBI Desktop optimized for Report Server (August 2018)
  • PowerBI Report Server (August 2018)

To test this, I've created a Test directory, to which I have full permissions. The same user has System Administrator and System User permissions in the Site Settings.

I've created a very basic report in Power BI Desktop, which runs a very basic query against a SQL Server database, using Import mode.

I can create a Shared schedule without any problems and I can see this as a new SQL Server Agent job on our Report Server. However, when I try to assign this shared schedule (or a non-shared schedule) to the report, I get the message:

An error has occurred. Something went wrong. Please try again later.

In the RSPortal_*.log, I see the associated entry:

2018-08-23 16:10:37.6661|ERROR|11|OData exception occurred: Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010+MissingEndpointException: The attempt to connect to the report server failed.  Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with an empty response.
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SetConnectionProtocol()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SoapMethodWrapper`1.ExecuteMethod(Boolean setConnectionProtocol)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SoapMethodWrapper`1.ExecuteMethod(Boolean setConnectionProtocol)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(String itemPath, String description, String eventType, String matchData, ParameterValue[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapRS2010Proxy.<>c__DisplayClass32.<CreateCacheRefreshPlan>b__31()
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapAuthenticationHelper.ExecuteWithWindowsAuth[TReturn](SoapHttpClientProtocol soapClient, IPrincipal userPrincipal, Func`1 func)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SubscriptionService.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(IPrincipal userPrincipal, CacheRefreshPlan cacherefreshPlan)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V2.Controllers.CacheRefreshPlansController.AddEntity(CacheRefreshPlan entity)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Controllers.Reflection.EntitySetReflectionODataController`1.Post(ODataPath oDataPath, T value)
   at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext().| RequestID = s_b4182d03-6490-4f9e-b79c-1516834210f7
2018-08-23 16:10:37.6661|INFO|20|Sending response. Response code domain\admin.user 500, Elapsed time 0:00:04.2517977| RequestID = s_b4182d03-6490-4f9e-b79c-1516834210f7

My connection information appears to be fine (I can connect to the data source successfully) and I have had this problem with the previous verions of Power BI and this latest August 2018 one (Desktop and Report Server).

I've been through similar problems posted here with 2017 versions of Power BI, but am having trouble finding anything more recent.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Phineas Gage

1 REPLY 1
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

I've seen something similar to this and it was a permission issue, are you able to upload an RDL report? Also can you check the ReportServerXXXX.log I have a feeling you'll see a persmissions error in there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors