Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pbi_106
Helper I
Helper I

Can users leave row-level comments and highlight rows?

We have a Power BI report that displays some grids of data.  Our users have expressed an interest in being able to highlight certain rows and/or leave comments for them. 

My immediate thought is that this doesn't appear to be within the default functionality of Power BI, as I'm not seeing any controls for this, and it would otherwise appear to require writing back to the database to store these comments and highlighting, but I thought I would confirm to see if the bright minds here might know of how something like this might be done.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pbi_106 ,

Sorry, currently for the report server, only report-level comment types can be added. It is temporarily impossible to allow users to add row-level comments to interact with the report.

If you want to implement this feature, you might as well post your idea here. If there are a lot of votes, Microsoft will officially add this feature in the next update, hope it will help you.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
whereismydata
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi,

this would be simplier in the service but since I have kind of the same requirement I came up with this rather inconvenient solution - but it works.

You need to have a unique ID for each row. Then use a tool like Sharepoint/Master Data Services or Excel for data insertion. It depends on your security needs.

My setup:

I have a job running that inserts new ID's and other data into the MDS database. In MDS users then can add comments to each ID.

Power BI then loads the data from MDS and displays the comment.

I'm testing also some security enhancement, like a user can only comment certain ID's, like all rows where customer = 'Customer A'. Another case would allow a user to select an ID from a list and add a comment, but can not see other comments.

You can, of course, also use another tool like MS Forms or as mentioned above Sharepoint or Excel, it all depends on your desired security level.

This would also work with highlighting.

I know it is hideous, but it's better than nothing.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pbi_106 ,

According to your description, I think it is possible to add comments to the report server in the report server, but only if someone has the correct permissions.

vhenrykmstf_0-1628156223355.png

Need related permissions:

vhenrykmstf_1-1628156295378.png

related document link:

Add comments to a report in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Item-Level Tasks - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey Henryk, thanks for the reply.

The sort of comments you're referring to are posted at the report level, correct?  What I'm looking for is a way for a user to be able to interact with a table/grid visual to where they could add a row-level comment. 

Hi @pbi_106 ,

Sorry, currently for the report server, only report-level comment types can be added. It is temporarily impossible to allow users to add row-level comments to interact with the report.

If you want to implement this feature, you might as well post your idea here. If there are a lot of votes, Microsoft will officially add this feature in the next update, hope it will help you.

Best Regards,
Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.