Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevinsearle
Frequent Visitor

Can't upload this report. We can't save this Power BI Desktop report because it is newer version or

Hello,

We are trying to upload a really basic BI Report to a newly installed instance of Power BI Report Server but unable to do so.

All we are getting is the error

Power BI Report Server: Can't upload this report. We can't save this Power BI Desktop report because it is newer version or has component parts that are not supported.

instead.

Googling the issue, most posts say make sure the version of Power BI Report Server being uploaded to is later than that of the instance of Power BI Desktop being used to create the report.

The version of Power BI Report Server being uploaded to is later than that for January 2020.

I have created the report using both January 2020 and May 2019 instances of Power BI Desktop.

Attempts to upload both fail with the same error.

Some further version info is below.

I have rebooted the server to make sure any configuration changes to BI Power Report Server  are applied.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks

According to Report Server Configuration Manager we have version 15.0.2.389 of Power BI Report Server - Developer installed.

According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog, the January 2020 Release is version: 1.6.7364.4075 (Build 15.0.1102.777) which suggests the version installed is later than this.

The version of Power BI Desktop being used is the January 2020 release Product Version 2.76.5678.1521 (19.12) (x64).

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@kevinsearle wrote:

According to Report Server Configuration Manager we have version 15.0.2.389 of Power BI Report Server - Developer installed.

According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog, the January 2020 Release is version: 1.6.7364.4075 (Build 15.0.1102.777) which suggests the version installed is later than this.

So the error implies that your version of desktop is newer than the version on the server. Looking at the numbers above you version (15.0.2.389) is quite old. I can't see that exact version in the change log, the closest thing appears to be March 2018 (15.0.2.402). It sounds like you might need to try updating the server as that old version would be out of support by now.

The Jan 2020 release is currently the latest version available for PBIRS (releases come out every 4 months and the May 2020 release should land next week). You should also make sure you are using the version of Power BI Desktop which is optimized for Power BI Report server (the download link for this is in the top ribbon of the PBIRS portal) you can have this version installed side-by-side with the cloud version if you need to, but using the matching "Optimized for Report Server" version makes sure that anything you build will run on the server. 

I realise now that although the home ("Report Server Status") page of "Report Server Configuration Manager" says

• Edition: Power BI Report Server - Developer
  • Product Version: 15.0.2.389

if I then

• go to the "Web Portal URL"
  • browse to the portal 
  • select ?
  • select "About Power BI Report Server

It says it is "Version 1.2.6660.39920 (March 2018)".

So the "edition" displayed on the home ("Report Server Status") page of "Report Server Configuration Manager" is not the same as the "Power BI Report Server", which does not make sense.

I am currently attmpting to upgrade the "Power BI Report Server".

Thanks for the feedback.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.