Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't upload report to Power BI Report Server

I have today downloaded and installed Power BI Desktop optimised for Power BI Report Server (May 2019).  I have also just upgraded our report server to the latest version.  I am now trying to save a report from Desktop to the report server and I get:

from desktop.JPG

If I go to the report server page and try to upload the report from there, I get:

from server.JPG

However, I can upload the report to the Power BI Service.

Any assistance gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Always reboot post upgrade. Maybe you did.

2. Confirm that the Report Server was upgraded. In the Report Server, click the "?" in the top right-->"About Power BI Report Server". It should say "Version 1.5.7074.36177 (May 2019)"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bradsy
Employee
Employee

Hi SkinnyPete63,

The Service is ahead of the Server. You should use the Server optimized version, as it is typically slighly behind the Service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-powerbi-desktop

Anonymous
Not applicable

The situation is now critical, as I have just updated an existing report and I am unable to upload that to the server.

Hi @Anonymous , Intially when we were setting up report server, we had this issue, server patching and restarts helped. But really we couldnt understand what fixed the issue.

One thing i can ask you to test is, when you open the report server - Try creating an new Power BI report from that, so that desktop opens up from report server. Then save the report (direct publish) if doesnt work then upload it and see.

Thanks

Manoj

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Always reboot post upgrade. Maybe you did.

2. Confirm that the Report Server was upgraded. In the Report Server, click the "?" in the top right-->"About Power BI Report Server". It should say "Version 1.5.7074.36177 (May 2019)"

Anonymous
Not applicable

So despite receiving confirmation that the Server had been upgraded, turns out it hadn't.  Once that completed successfully, we were fine.  As a side issue, some of our reports stopped working, so we had to download them to the latest desktop version and re-publish, then they were fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.