Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

llaux
Frequent Visitor

Can't upload report after update August 2018 edition

Hello - I downloaded the September 2018 version of PowerBI Desktop and built a report. It states my version number is 2.62.5222.761.

I am currently running the August 2018 Version of PBIRS Version 1.3.6816.37243 (August 2018) . I can no longer upload any new reports to my Report Server. What are my options to move forward here?

6 REPLIES 6
Alibo

I have the same problem. I want to bypass this issue by downloading the August version of Power BI. Is there a link to download the August version?

Same here (for the on-prem version) .  March server and August client.    This didn't happen for us with the previous two upgrades.

Is there any documentation anywhere around which server releases are compatible with which client?  It'd be great to know this stuff in advance so we can line up both server and client teams. 

Hi,

since the first release, the Power BI Report Server is supposed to work with the desktop client related to its version. The Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server) can be downloaded on the following link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57270

"To create Power BI reports for Power BI Report Server, you need to download and install Power BI Desktop optimized for Power BI Report Server. This release is different from the Power BI Desktop used with the Power BI service. For example, the version of Power BI Desktop for the Power BI service includes preview features that aren't available in the Power BI Report Server version until after they're released. Using this release makes sure that the report server can interact with a known version of the reports and model." Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-powerbi-desktop

I tried the solution above but it didn't work.  We blasted (uninstalled) all of our desktops AND our PowerBI server and reinstalled with the downloads linked in the post above.  We are using the RS (report server) version of the Power BI Desktop.  Still can't publish.

After you reinstalled everything did you make sure to give your users adequate rights on the Report Server to allow them to publish to it? If all the editions match up, the only thing that should be left to check is user permissions. I know it sounds stupid, but it's an easy step to overlook (because we did).

I have every permission from Admin on the server on down.  This is a test server so we've made security wide open just to get it working.  We have noticed that we CAN upload SSRS reports, Excel spreadsheets, etc..  It just says my .pbix files are corrupt.

t1.pngt2.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.