Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't turn Use a Data gateway off

Hey everyone,

Hoping someone here can help.  

I originally started my Dashboard with an Excel file while I awaited direct access to SQL.  As a result, I set up a gateway and everything was fine.

Fast forward to now and I have sql access, and moved all my visiualization soruces to ther sql databases.  Since I no longer need the gateway, I deleted it.  However, I can't turn it off because the option is grayed out.

powerbierror.png

For extra background, I had deleted the data from the Fields list (and it warned it was in use).  I then had to go query Editor and delete synch logs referring to the Excel files and was THEN able to delete the excel sources and they stopped appearing in my Options->Data Source box.

The bahavior SEEMS to be that Power BI thinks I am referencing these local files SOMEWHERE, so it is enforcing a gateway but I don't see where.  In the meantime, I'm gettign local accounts to add SQL to the Gateway for refresh, but I'd rather not have to use a gateway at all.

Any ideas?  Any ways to see what is being referred to (perhaps from these local files) and where?

Thanks!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I figured it out.

Of my 3 SQL sources, 2 were Azure....1 was not.  

That was what required the gateway.

Confirmed via a test Dashboard that only had an Azure source, no gateway needed and refresh was available.  Added the non-azure source and BAM....needs a gateway!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add in, I created a brand new test file, created a dinky report, and published it.  Use Gateway is set to Off and I can change it as I please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One more note.

I noticed I have this defined in 2 places:

My Workspace

A named workspace

Is that a problem?  I can certainyl delete one (both won't allow me to disable the gateway).

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I figured it out.

Of my 3 SQL sources, 2 were Azure....1 was not.  

That was what required the gateway.

Confirmed via a test Dashboard that only had an Azure source, no gateway needed and refresh was available.  Added the non-azure source and BAM....needs a gateway!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.