Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alanoudfahad
Frequent Visitor

Can't schedule a refresh from a shared folder

Hello!

I have a dashboard that is using data from a shared folder and I want to schedule a refresh in the report server but I keep getting this error message:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Alanoudfahad wrote:

if you can share the process of how to setup a SQL agent in report server?

SQL Agent is normally installed and enabled as part of the default install of SQL Server, so the bigger question is how did it get switched off in the first place.

If you remote desktop onto your SQL Server and start the SQL Server Configuration Manager tool you can click on services then right click on the SQL Agent service and start it from there.

d_gosbell_0-1629069079941.png

If you don't see SQL Agent at all then you would need to run the SQL Server install again and add SQL Agent to your instance.

I would also recommend going into the Properties, then under the service tab make sure the startup type is set to Automatic so that SQL Agent will restart whenever the server is re-started.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Alanoudfahad wrote:

Hello!

SQL Agent is the mechanism that Report Server uses internally to trigger the refresh at the time you specified in the schedule regardless of what the source of your data is. It needs to be running if you want any timed operations to occur. 

Thank you for your replay..

if you can share the process of how to setup a SQL agent in report server? This is my first time using RS and not sure how to configure the SQL agent

@Alanoudfahad wrote:

if you can share the process of how to setup a SQL agent in report server?

SQL Agent is normally installed and enabled as part of the default install of SQL Server, so the bigger question is how did it get switched off in the first place.

If you remote desktop onto your SQL Server and start the SQL Server Configuration Manager tool you can click on services then right click on the SQL Agent service and start it from there.

d_gosbell_0-1629069079941.png

If you don't see SQL Agent at all then you would need to run the SQL Server install again and add SQL Agent to your instance.

I would also recommend going into the Properties, then under the service tab make sure the startup type is set to Automatic so that SQL Agent will restart whenever the server is re-started.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors