Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cannibaltuna
Frequent Visitor

Can't add Windows Authentication to Data Sources.

I have PBIRS on premises and no matter what I do I can't seem to get the data sources to work to allow for Windows Authentication. I get a red circle with a line though it when trying to make changes to the data share.

I'll add a data source (excel file to keep it simple) to a local share or on a share on another server, create the report in PBI, then upload it to RS but always receive the same error.

"Scheduled data refresh is unavailable for files not mapped to a network drive path."

Capture.PNGAny ideas what I am doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @cannibaltuna,

You should open your report in PBI Desktop, change the path in Data source settings (home tab->edit queries->data source settings) and save the report back to the server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @cannibaltuna

You need to use an UNC path, e.g. \\servername\sharename\filename.

Thanks for the answer, though that leads me to another question. How to I make the file path use UNC instead of a network drive since I can't edit the paths in the data sources?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @cannibaltuna,

You should open your report in PBI Desktop, change the path in Data source settings (home tab->edit queries->data source settings) and save the report back to the server.

Thank you for your help, I will give that a try.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.