Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

m_sperl
Frequent Visitor

Can't Create a Scheduled Refresh plan - 503 error

Server is running Mar 2018 Power BI Report Server. PBIX files run fine on the server. I have several that are running direct query and they work no problem getting the most recent data.

Issue comes when setting up a scheduled refresh plan. I get the generic "Something went wrong"

Looking into the log file I see the below entries:

2018-05-21 09:18:38.9168|INFO|49|Received request POST /api/v2.0/CacheRefreshPlans| RequestID = s_34c31822-4981-4bab-8f53-e437da0e63ae
2018-05-21 09:18:40.9578|ERROR|49|OData exception occurred: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SetConnectionProtocol()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SoapMethodWrapper`1.ExecuteMethod(Boolean setConnectionProtocol)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(String itemPath, String description, String eventType, String matchData, ParameterValue[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapRS2010Proxy.<>c__DisplayClass32.<CreateCacheRefreshPlan>b__31()
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapAuthenticationHelper.ExecuteWithWindowsAuth[TReturn](SoapHttpClientProtocol soapClient, IPrincipal userPrincipal, Func`1 func)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SubscriptionService.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(IPrincipal userPrincipal, CacheRefreshPlan cacherefreshPlan)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V2.Controllers.CacheRefreshPlansController.AddEntity(CacheRefreshPlan entity)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Controllers.Reflection.EntitySetReflectionODataController`1.Post(ODataPath oDataPath, T value)
   at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext().| RequestID = s_34c31822-4981-4bab-8f53-e437da0e63ae
2018-05-21 09:18:40.9578|INFO|56|Sending response. Response code DDCNY\sperl 500, Elapsed time 0:00:02.0411457| RequestID = s_34c31822-4981-4bab-8f53-e437da0e63ae

Tried restarting the Reporting Server on the database (separate server). Restarted services on the Power BI report server. Also tried enabling HTTP error logging on the database server but it looks like that's not it either.

What service is the Power BI server trying to reach out to when creating the refresh plan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I apologize for lack of answer but we did resolve it.

Since the reports worked I went in and downloaded all of the powerBI files posted to the site.

I went in and did a complete uninstall of the server application. This included removing the database (default name: PowerBIReportServer ) I had previously left it there as I wanted to try and keep the system running as it was.

On re-install and recreation of the database i was able to post a pbix file and set the schedule.

Michael Sperl

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LeeDoty

Looks to me like the call that is failing is between two of the RS processes.  The log entry you pasted is from RSPortal_*.log, which is the portal process.  The call that's failing is a SOAP call from that process to the internal RS process.  The internal RS process's log will look like ReportingServicesService_*.log.  

From the portal process' point of view, the RS Process isn't available or the SOAP call is failing for some other reason.  I believe you should find more interesting information in the RS process log (ReportingServicesService_*.log). 

What's going on there at the same time?

Sorry for the long reply. Apppreciate the advice given and I definitely used it to start digging around.

What it looks like to me is that the local service is not running. If I go to the ReportServer Conmfiguration tool and look at the the left Menu Item Web Service URL and click on the link there for http:,servername>:80/reportserver then it goes to a 503 service unavailable page. Going to look here now.

Tried changing it from a Virtual Account to a Network Service but still no go. Those are my only two options from the main screen. I can designate domain account and will try that. Anyone seen anything like this?

I am having  the exact error message. Did you find a resolution to this issue? We applied SSL certificate in our on-premise report server. we are able to view reports without any issues. It is just scheduling a new refresh when we encounter this type of issue. 

I apologize for lack of answer but we did resolve it.

Since the reports worked I went in and downloaded all of the powerBI files posted to the site.

I went in and did a complete uninstall of the server application. This included removing the database (default name: PowerBIReportServer ) I had previously left it there as I wanted to try and keep the system running as it was.

On re-install and recreation of the database i was able to post a pbix file and set the schedule.

Michael Sperl

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.