Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mjmar025
Helper I
Helper I

Can not upload reports to Report Server

I have upgraded my Power BI report server to March 2018 edition (version 1.2.6648.38132). When I use Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server) (version 2.56.5023.1043) I am unable to upload reports to the report server and get this message:

Error.PNG

I can not figure out why this is happening. Is the version of PBI Desktop that I am using not compatible with the version of Report Server that I am running?

There is a slightly newer version of Report Server that came out on March 28th - is it possible that I need to install that version on my server?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
nchambe
Advocate II
Advocate II

Make sure the Power BI Desktop version you're using (client app for report creation) matches or is "less than" the version you have installed on the actual report server. See my blog post on this error message for step-by-step guidance.

mjmar025
Helper I
Helper I

Is it possible that this problem could have anything to do with cloning my PBI Report Server on a new VM? If both instances of Report Server are pointing to the same metadata database is this the error we'd get?

jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Are you sure you're on the March 2018 version of Report Server? We are also on March 2018 edition, however the version number is 1.2.6660.39920.

Our PBI Desktop version is that same as yours - 2.56.5023.1043.

messerjc
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I don't quite know the right answer for you, but from my limited experience I've found that if I re-download the version offered by the PBI Report Server web portal, that seems to work best. I am curious though if these interim bug fix releases are making it harder to know which is the "right" version for any given release. Might be that we need an indicator somewhere in the server application to inform us what version is right. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.