Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tmendoza
Helper III
Helper III

Can I View Role as Someone Else Other Than Myself In Power BI Report Server (not desktop)

I Just developed a dashboard and posted it to our company's Power BI reporting server.

I created roles in the PBI desktop and added groups to them in the reporting server.

However, is it possible to impersonate someone else (similar to the "View as Roles" function on the PBI desktop)?

I need to test what other people, other than myself who has full viewing privelages, can see.

recap: Can I test what other individuals in the company will see on our Power BI reporting server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@tmendoza wrote:

recap: Can I test what other individuals in the company will see on our Power BI reporting server?

There is no "View As" option in Report Server like there is in Desktop. You would actually have to login as another user or shift-right-click on your browser and use the "Run as different user" option. But for both of these you need a username and password for some other account that is in your role. (depending on your IT department it might be possible to get a secondary/test account created for this purpose)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@tmendoza wrote:

There is no "View As" option in Report Server like there is in Desktop. You would actually have to login as another user or shift-right-click on your browser and use the "Run as different user" option. But for both of these you need a username and password for some other account that is in your role. (depending on your IT department it might be possible to get a secondary/test account created for this purpose)

This actually is available nowadays. Found the solution here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls look for "manage security on your model"
Basically, if you go to the model --> security and select the three dots next to the role you want to test, there will be an option to do just that.

@SwaggyP - that article is referring to the Power BI service, not the on-prem report server product.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors