Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can Excel workbooks with Power Query refresh 'on open' on PBIRS?

Hi all, 

Is it possible to refresh a Excel workbook with a Power Query 'on open' in PBIRS? 

I have tried and I get a warning:

"

External data Refresh failed

The data connection uses Windows Authentication and user credentials could not be delegated. The following connections failed to refresh [my query name]

"

If Kerberos or other authentication is used - Is it then possible?

Regards Taico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

I have kinda solved the problem myself - no I cannot use a 'Power Query' and 'refresh on open' in PBIRS with OOS.

The "new" connection wizard to SQL in Excel 2016 - which was introduced with some patch - uses Power Query and will not 'refresh on open' on PBIRS.

Workaround is to use the "old/non-PQ" connection wizard to SQL. I have reactived the "old" wizard (Settings > Data) and connected to SQL-server and now PBIRS/OOS is able to refresh 'on open'.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

I have kinda solved the problem myself - no I cannot use a 'Power Query' and 'refresh on open' in PBIRS with OOS.

The "new" connection wizard to SQL in Excel 2016 - which was introduced with some patch - uses Power Query and will not 'refresh on open' on PBIRS.

Workaround is to use the "old/non-PQ" connection wizard to SQL. I have reactived the "old" wizard (Settings > Data) and connected to SQL-server and now PBIRS/OOS is able to refresh 'on open'.

ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

It looks like it should be posible to use 'windows authentication' against a SQL database and refresh 'on open'

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeonlineserver/data-authentication-for-excel-online-in-office-o...

I guees we have a problem with our Kerberos settings somewhere... I will talk to our IT dep. and report back here if we get it solved...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.