Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

Calculation groups with PBIRS

I understand it may be possible to create calculation groups in PBIRS reports but can't find how you can connect to the data model from Tabular Editor.

This thread https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Create-Calculation-Group-in-Power-BI-Report-Server/m-... says you can do it by enabling enhanced metadata format, which was a preview feature some time ago but I can not see any option for now int he Sept 2021 desktop client.

Is it possible to create calculation groups for PBIRS, and if so how?

Thanks

Leslie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I think the new metadata format may be the default in the Sep 21 release. Have you tried just open the model in Power BI Desktop, then open Tabular Editor and choose the option to connect to a DB. Then choose the "Local Instance" option and you should see your file listed in the drop down.

d_gosbell_0-1638742644835.png

If that opens without the warning about needing the v3 metadata you should be able to add your calculation group just as you would if you had launched from the external tools.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I think the new metadata format may be the default in the Sep 21 release. Have you tried just open the model in Power BI Desktop, then open Tabular Editor and choose the option to connect to a DB. Then choose the "Local Instance" option and you should see your file listed in the drop down.

d_gosbell_0-1638742644835.png

If that opens without the warning about needing the v3 metadata you should be able to add your calculation group just as you would if you had launched from the external tools.

That's excellent. Thanks d_gosbel this makes it much easier.  

Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

So I found you can open the .pbix file in power bi desktop (RS edition) then save it as a power bi template .pbit file. Then you can open the .pbit file in Tabular Editor and create calculation groups or whatever. Then open the .pbit file in power bi desktop and save it as a .pbix file. That's all I've managed to do so far, but if anyone has any more details it would be useful, e.g. I know the external tools menu is not available in the report server edition of desktop, so Tabular editor can't be opened directly from desktop, but are there any limitations to using tabular editor with PBIRS compared to the PBI Service? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.