Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cache refresh plans and API

Is there a way to attache a cache refresh plan to a report with the new REST API? I can see how to upload a report, create a refresh plan, delete existing plans on a report but not how to attach a cache refresh plan to a report?

8 REPLIES 8
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

You use a POST on this API:

http://server/reports/api/v2.0/CacheRefreshPlans

inside the payload you can specify the CatalogItem you want to associate with the schedule.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you give an example? I cannot get this to work at all, not the PUT/DELETE or POST.  The Path seems to want the path of the the plan but it is not clear what this is.

If I try:

Invoke-RESTMethod -Uri "$restroot/CacheRefreshPlans(Path='/replib/cache')" -Method DELETE -UseDefaultCredentials

Where /replib/cache is a .rdl report with a cache defined, I just get a 404 error, for example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the issue - the datasource for the report was misconfigured but the errors dont' mention this. You can't set a cache if the report won't actually run.

The CachRefreshPlans route does not except a Path argument only and ID for the specific schedule. If you know the report that you want to get the schedules for you use this API:

http://server/reports/api/v2.0/reports(Path='/reportName')/CacheRefreshPlans

that should get you all the schedules associated with that report. If your looking for a specific one you can use OData $filter operation in the URL.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I will try this but the documentation says that the CatalogItemPath in the payload is the path to the "item that represents the CacheRefreshPlan" which is somewhat confusing.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

All available REST APIs are listed on SwaggerHub, including how to create and execute a cache refresh plan, please have a look at below links:

Power BI Report Server REST API

SQL Server 2017 Reporting Services REST API

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I know the docs but it is not clear which call to use to associate a refresh plan with a catalog item like a report or dataset?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any ideas about this? How does one attach a refresh plan to a report?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.