Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DanielMoniak

Building Data Model fully on PowerBi online platform

Hi,

now in PowerBI Pro version, to create new PowerBI Dataset I have to create new .pbix file in PowerBI Desktop, connect it to the relevant datasource e.g. file, Servers, Clouds, etc. then change data shape (in Power Query editor) for final PowerBI visualisations, and then publish newly created .pbix file on PowerBI online platform as a new Dataset and then reports, desktops, etc. And that's ok.

But are there any posibilities to have done the same fully on PowerBI online? From creating online .pbix, downloading e.g. excel file with a data, then conecting newly created .pbix with it, change data with Power Query editor online, and then make data visualisations in that newly created PowerBI Dataset on PowerBI online platform as a new Dataset and then create reports, desktops, etc?

Now on PowerBI online platform I can download e.g. excel file as a DataFlow and then I can change this data shape in Power Query on PowerBI online platform. And I can also create new .pbix file on PowerBI online platform but I can not connect this newly created Power BI online with a newly downloaded excel file as a DataFlow report/file to start building new PowerBI dashboard online.

Do I miss sth or there is no posibilities on Power BI online platform to download tables, or diff files and then build directly online new .pbix dataset/report with a visualisations in the way that I can do that in the PowerBI Desktop, but fully based on the files on the PowerBI online platform?

Thx for every answer 🙂

Best regards Daniel

1 REPLY 1
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DanielMoniak ,

Is it possible to simplify the description of your needs so that I can accurately answer them for you? Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.