Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SaaM
Helper II
Helper II

Best pricing solution PBI RS vs PBI service ?

Hi all,

I have been tasked with finding the best solution for the company (mainly we are 5 report creator and 500+ consumers of reports(read reports and apply filters etc)), to go either for PBI Report Server or PBI Service.

Right now, we use right now the free desktop version of PBI. So far, I believe the best option for us is the PBI service (with 5 premium per user license for the creators and create a premium workspace to share reports and dahsboard with the consumers with free licence). 

but  I'm a bit confused as to what the requirements are, pricing etc with the report server and premium and pro licence.

I've seen that it comes included with the PBI Premium per capacity which is 5k€/month . I've also read where if you have SQL Server Enterprise, there is no cost for the Report Server with some Software Assurance option.

Can someone please explain me if i should go for premium per user or premium capacity for PBI RS ?

Thanks

kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SaaM If you go with PPU then everyone needs PPU. Therefore, it will be less expensive to go with a premium capacity like a P1 or P2. 20 * 505 = $10,100 vs. $5,000 for a P1. All prices are list prices.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

PBI RS is worth only if you have an existing SQL Server Enterprise license with SA which would be able to give you a PBIRS key for free. You would be then able to use it with just pro licenses for creators. If you choose to go with it with Premium capacity where you get a key for PBIRS with Premium which you can host at an on-prem or VM.  But at the same time you woul need to handle the VM or server yourself which is an additional cost.

Also PPU is a complete no no in case of so many users as all of them would need a PPU in case your creators create the reports with a PPU and deploy them all to a PPU workspace.

Best case for you is to opt for a Premium capacity and 5 pro licenses for creators. the users would be able to access with their free licenses. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SaaM If you go with PPU then everyone needs PPU. Therefore, it will be less expensive to go with a premium capacity like a P1 or P2. 20 * 505 = $10,100 vs. $5,000 for a P1. All prices are list prices.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.