Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

h4tt3n
Resolver II
Resolver II

Batch report update and upload?

Hello everyone,

I work in a fast-growing startup company that relies on PBI to present measurement data to our customers. We already have about 90 reports up and running, and that number is expected to grow substantially in the near-future. As we are still in the startup phase, new reports are constantly being developed, and our existing reports are being improved and updated on a regular basis.

Besides functional updates, we also regularly change the login credentials for security purposes.

This of course raises the following questions:

Is there a way to do batch report updates and uploads rather than manually update and upload them one by one?

Is there a way to automate report maintenance, like eg. regular login credential updates?

If not, then we are forced to update our constantly growing base of reports manually, which will be a very time-consuming and repetitive task. 

Thanks in advance,

Michael

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, you could check out the Power BI REST API.

But, I would recommend you start using data flows. Then you can change data source credentials once for all of the reports.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

I have been looking into the REST api and data flows documented here, but I am not quite sure how this would be helpful in batch report updates. Could you please elaborate a little? The docs are very sparsely described, and what I am looking for is more like a beginner's tutorial.

To clarify, we develop reports in Power BI desktop and upload them to the Power BI online service. We do not develop our own apps .

If anyone else has some advice on automated or batch report updates, then I would very much like to hear about it.

Cheers, Mike

Ok, thanks for the advice, I will look into the REST api and data flows. It'll probably be at least a week before I have the time to look further into it, but I'll come back and mark as solution if it did the trick.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.