Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

BUG - Scheduled Refresh failing in October 2020

Existing reports modified and saved in October 2020 version of the RS is failing. This is happening after upgrading from May 2020 version. This is a huge issue and need fixing asap. This has been highlighted in other posts as well.

Using PBI RS Desktop Oct 2020 version too. Here's the error. Trunated confidential information.

SessionID: 3359cf9d-11f7-4cc3-a850-bc8ca8da2b3b
[0] -1056505856: COM error: System.Core, Sequence contains no elements.
[1] -1055784828: The database operation was cancelled because of an earlier failure.
[2] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource {"protocol":"tds","address":{"server":"[truncated]","database":"[truncated]"},"authentication":null,"query":"\n[truncated]"} is not found..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Petebro
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm happy to report that the "enter data" issues blocking refresh has been patched in a new update for Power BI Report Server October 2020.  Find more information here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-October-2020-update-has-been-released/m-p/1503433#M16773

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
pabeader
Post Patron
Post Patron

Wow.  So many different answers to this issue.  Somebody needs to get a list of them all and put it in one place. 

pabeader
Post Patron
Post Patron

Not sure if this will help anybody else but...

I finally got all but one of my reports to consistantly refresh.  Both scheduled and manual

What I found was that I had unjoined, scale-out servers listed in the group.  These servers were only used for testing and no longer had Report Server running on them.  I had to start report server back up.  Join the 'test' server.  Unjoin it.  Then shutdown the Report Server on that machine.  Once I went through all of the unjoined servers, the refreshes started working correctly.

Apparently, even though they were not longer part of the scale-out, Power BI was trying to use them to render the reports.  Now that they are no longer listed in the 'main' report server, I have no issues with them refreshing.

I am still having trouble with my one WEB based report, but I can manually refresh that one so that's okay for now.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm happy to report that the "enter data" issues blocking refresh has been patched in a new update for Power BI Report Server October 2020.  Find more information here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-October-2020-update-has-been-released/m-p/1503433#M16773

I am unhappy to report that the 11/18 build does NOT fix this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonder if you had a resolution here?  Same issue is persisting with us as well.

Yes, I figure out a fix...basically was a re-install while saving the config files. I'm assuming something in the updater isn't working right. Specific details in this comment.

We too are looking for a solution. We are in the process of ensuring our developers have unchecked the preview feature in the Oct 2020 PowerBI Desktop for RS.  That being said, we now have several reports on our production server where going back to a backup from a pre-Oct 2020 pbix file is not an option. 

Would you have a timeline as to when there will be a fix? 

Hi @Petebro this doesn't appear to be fixed (and disabling preview metadata function didn't hep either)  - we have just moved to this (later) 18th nov release from the may 2020 release - and are encountering the "fixed" issue of scheduled report refreshes complaining of missing credentials (they aren't). Is there any update on steps to resolve please?

We too are looking for a solution. We are in the process of ensuring our developers have unchecked the preview feature in the Oct 2020 PowerBI Desktop for RS.  That being said, we now have several PowerBI reports that are not refreshing, which would take much effort to recreate. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AdEzone , unfortunately don't have any backup files saved.

Anyway, would want a permanent fix from Microsoft for this. Hope they release a patch or an early version this month.

AdEzone
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Hi,
They should be in the path I posted. 
c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\TempSaves\Backups
Those are automatic backups... but they have stupid names... You need to open them manually to see the content.

Regards
AdEzone
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

You don´t need to downgrade the server, it is Ok.

You need to find the backup .pbix it is automatically done before changing the Metadata Model (which is the issue - the model transformation). You can find this backup in:

c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\TempSaves\Backups

1 of those files with fancy names that include the version it was created-saved must be the models have stopped refreshing.

You need to downgrade the Desktop to May 2020 or, if you want to continue with Oct2020 will need to disable "Allow saving the datamodel in the Enhanced Dataset Model" in Options - Preliminary options. (or something similar, I have the spanish language desktop), so the transformation doesn´t happen before publising in the Server.

I hope you can solve the issue with this...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AdEzone 

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately don't have the back up pbix files.

Waiting for MS to fix this!

Arman_Rzn
Frequent Visitor

I faced the same problem as well, in two different report servers.
the same situation happened in Report Server Refresh when the Jan-2020 version first released.
I like to see the downgrade option as my last try. Is there any other way to solve this issue?

SajjadMousavi
Helper II
Helper II

It's true. We have the same problem in our company and this issue waste our time and resources. we've just downgraded it to May edition and waited for a patch from the Power BI team.

JeanMartinL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello,

This has been mentioned in a few other threads already, it seems to affect many users (myself included). One of the workaround I have seen is to restore a backup of your pbix from before the upgrade, either uncheck the new metadata preview feature or downgrade PBI Desktop to May 2020 and resave the file. But of course that’s not an option for everyone.

Another workaround is the remove all “Enter Data” tables (for example by converting them to Excel sources). That seems to work for some people but unfortunately for me it just changed the System.Core error to something else. These are the only 2 workarounds I’ve found so far, otherwise we are still waiting on Microsoft.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.