Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dombarg
Helper II
Helper II

BI report service on local server

hello my friends.

I'm working on a dashboard for a govermental organization in which information security is very critical. indeed,they won't their information be published on BI service on internet.

Can I implement power BI service (and its dashboard designed in Desktop) in local "Intranet" instead of "internet"?what suggestion u have for this problem? I preffer to deliver  such dashborad in Power Bi service not on Desktop version.

thank u.

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @dombarg Yes you can use the Power BI report server for your requirement. Do you want an on-premises solution for reporting today? And the flexibility to move to the cloud tomorrow? Power BI Report Server is the on-premises solution you can use today. And because it’s included with Power BI Premium, you can move to the cloud on your terms. 

You need to install the Power BI report server https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56137 and you can use Power BI Desktop RS to publish your Power BI reports. Please reemember this is always doe snot match the Power BI desk top and online features as-is. 

Please refer this - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/ 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/03/introducing-power-bi-report-server-for-on-...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/06/12/power-bi-report-server-now-generally-avail...

Hope this helps to do yourself more research and try installing the evaluation version and try yourself.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dombarg,

The Power BI service isn't available as a private, internal cloud service. However, you have three other options for viewing and working with data on premises.

• On-premises data gateway
  • Power BI Report Server
  • Power BI mobile apps

For details, please see this document.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thank u @v-yulgu-msft

.unfortunatly I can't grasp exactly what power bi report server provides and i am not sure about it's function.would u please summarize what actually it (Power BI Report Server) does??(with short answer)

does it satisfy my client requirments?? I have to present their managers and i have to justify them.can we implement something like power bi service on local host and local server(power BI reporting server)

Hi @dombarg,

The Power BI Report server is basically SSRS behind the scenes. 

I have myself installed Power BI report server because of the security concerns of my customer using SQL software assurance, but I must say it has a lot of limitations, like you cannot create dashboards or app workspaces , cannot implement row level security at the report server level (possible to do at the Database level).

But yes, it keeps my data on premises which is very important for my client. You can create Power BI reports, paginated reports, KPIs etc, all with ease. You can use it if you are not looking to create dashboards and all. (For that you need to use the web service.) Please  let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

Pragya

Do you know whether or not the PowerBi API can access reports that are hosted in a local on Premise Report Server as opposed to the PowerBI cloud Service/Portal ?

We have a working integration to embedded PBI Service content within our application.

But like the poster of this thread we have a handful of customers that do not wish to publish any data to the cloud.

So does the PBI API allow content to be accessed from local PowerBI Report Servers ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.