Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Molik
Advocate I
Advocate I

Authentication type oauth2 missing for Report Server Schedule Refresh

Dear all, I would like to know, what is necessary to do on a Report Server side configuration in order to support oauth2 authentication type for (data source) Scheduled refresh.

I am able to take PBI Desktop and use OneDrive / SharePoint online list or library like a source, I am able to refresh them manually or upload such a report to Report Server, however I am not able to configure Scheduled refresh for them (for any O365/M365 data source). There is simply no choice in the menu to use e-mail format of the credentials. Just Anonymous, Basic & Windows type credentials and none of this works. I also tried to use Web type connection with no luck, I tried to connect OneDrive folder like a network drive and use web type / excel type connection and again, with no luck. 

account.PNG

Thank you for any hint, tip or help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. The data sources you are asking about are officially listed as not being supported for scheduled refresh (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources ) 

You don't have a lot of good options here, but in a nutshell the main onese are to either:

• Open and refresh the reports manually using Power BI Desktop
  • publish the reports on powerbi.com (which does support OAuth2 authentication) instead of on Report Server 
  • build some sort of data load scripts which will pull the data from OneDrive/Sharepoint and load them into a supported on-prem data store (like a file share or SQL database) and then build your reports on the local copies of that data

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. The data sources you are asking about are officially listed as not being supported for scheduled refresh (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources ) 

You don't have a lot of good options here, but in a nutshell the main onese are to either:

• Open and refresh the reports manually using Power BI Desktop
  • publish the reports on powerbi.com (which does support OAuth2 authentication) instead of on Report Server 
  • build some sort of data load scripts which will pull the data from OneDrive/Sharepoint and load them into a supported on-prem data store (like a file share or SQL database) and then build your reports on the local copies of that data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.