cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drewsonian Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Auth when not connected to a domain - Power BI Desktop for Report Server

Is there a way to provide credentials to Power BI Desktop for the on-premises report server so it will make the HTTP calls with a specified user name and password?  My computer is not joined to the domain that the Report Server is on (and I cannot join it to the domain), so I'm unable to save a report to a server because it only gets back unauthorized responses and doesn't prompt for credentials.  I've used Fiddler to confirm the response codes.

3 REPLIES 3
Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Re: Auth when not connected to a domain - Power BI Desktop for Report Server

Hi @drewsonian,

I'm afraid it's not supported. You can enter the Power BI report server web portal URL in browser on you current machine, you will find you can't access it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
drewsonian Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for you response @v-qiuyu-msft

Actually, I am able to access the web portal without a problem because it prompts me for a user name and password.  The issue is that the Desktop Power BI does not let me put in credentials.

bennyraja Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @drewsonian Try to open a PowerBI desktop with below command, runas /netonly /userSmiley Very HappyOMAIN\username "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop RS\bin\PBIDesktop.exe" it will prompt you to enter your domain password. Thanks BennyRaja.A