Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

drewsonian
Frequent Visitor

Auth when not connected to a domain - Power BI Desktop for Report Server

Is there a way to provide credentials to Power BI Desktop for the on-premises report server so it will make the HTTP calls with a specified user name and password?  My computer is not joined to the domain that the Report Server is on (and I cannot join it to the domain), so I'm unable to save a report to a server because it only gets back unauthorized responses and doesn't prompt for credentials.  I've used Fiddler to confirm the response codes.

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @drewsonian,

I'm afraid it's not supported. You can enter the Power BI report server web portal URL in browser on you current machine, you will find you can't access it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for you response @v-qiuyu-msft

Actually, I am able to access the web portal without a problem because it prompts me for a user name and password.  The issue is that the Desktop Power BI does not let me put in credentials.

Hi @drewsonian Try to open a PowerBI desktop with below command, runas /netonly /user:DOMAIN\username "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop RS\bin\PBIDesktop.exe" it will prompt you to enter your domain password. Thanks BennyRaja.A
Anonymous
Not applicable

THIS! I've been searching for months for a way to specify our internal domain account while running PowerBI inside of a virtual machine.

It's seriously been holding me back not being able to connect directly to our SQLServer that uses Windows Auth. All my mac SQL clients allow specifying the domain but for some reason when you're in Windows tooling like PowerBI Desktop you can't specify an alternate domain!

This runas is life saver.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.