Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

biggerpez
Frequent Visitor

August Report Server Update - IE 11 (was Chrome, but Chrome resolved)

We have installed the August update of RS server in a dev environment and no reports now render in chrome, we just get the Loading data with revolving dots.

Reports that require interaction also crash internet explorer when switching between pages or having any form of interaction with them after between 10-30 seconds.

Any suggestions welcome, as in its current form it is unusable in our environment.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@pbx & @ForcaTaico we just published a patch build that I believe addresses this issue, I tested several cases and wasn't able to repro. Can you update to the latest and let me know if you still seeing the issue?

View solution in original post

It is the only version of PowerBI reporting Server available on the main download page, it is effectively a new install.

Download Power BI Report Server

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
messerjc
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I don't want to sidetrack the issue here, but since I'm only seeing this in IE11 at the moment, have any of you seen and IE11 issue like this? The navigation icons are all alphabetic letters now, and my Settings, Download, and Help icons are missing, although I can click on them and get mouse-over pop-ups with the description. I'm going to flush the cache and everything, but thought I'd share in case someone else sees the same...

PBIRS August 2018 IE11.PNG

False alarm on my issue at least - I flushed my IE11 cache and cleared Windows temp files, then rebooted, and everything is fine now. Still keeping an eye on this though because we're in the same boat - enterprise managed IE11, same versions that some of the rest of you have posted about.

blithechan
Frequent Visitor

I got "Loading data" issue with revolving dots at IE 11 (Version 11.2430.14393.0) but the reports can be loaded in Chrome (Version 68.0.3440.106). No help even after deleting cache.

We are under SMS so cannot do the IE patch right now.

Please get this issue fixed asap. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@biggerpezCan you please change the title of this topic? Its more an IE 11 issue now and other people will be aware of it sooner. Thanks!

ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

We also have an issue with Internet Explorer 11 crashing after some interactions with the reports.

...It works in Chrome and Edge.

@ForcaTaico & @pbx can either of you provide a set of repro steps to get this to happen? We're investigating this from our end.

Hi @mgmeyer

IE 11 version 11.547.16299.0. August versions of PBIRS and PBI-Desktop for RS.

In my case I have a Power BI Report with 4 columns-charts with a 'live connection' to a SSAS MD cube on a SQL2016. When I use cross highlighting multiple times at some point 'Internet Explorer' crashes. 

No issue in Chrome or Edge.

If I choose to debug in VS2017 a get the following:

debugVS2017.PNG

Thanks, I just tried it on my end with an import model and it worked with no issues, I'll give SSAS MD a try to see if that is the culprit however not sure if it would be in this case as I would expect an issue there would fail in Chrome and Edge.

I tried with various reports and all show the problem. For instance with a report based on embeded data, all it takes is about 8 to 10 clicks on a bar column that does cross highlighting/filtering with other charts and it crashes .

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Looks like you both have a slightly older build of IE than I do, can you try updating to this KB and let me know if your still seeing the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4343205/cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer

ie11version.png

ie11.JPG 

I updated  IE 11 on Windows 7 (32-x) and cleared IE cache. but this problem was not solved!

What other proposals do you have?

I encountered the same problem with IE 11 on Windows 8.1. Updating the browser does not help.

But the same reports work without problems on Chrome and Opera. What about other proposals?

IE11-W81.JPG

Did you ever try to manully delete the cache file?

Tools > Internet Options > Settings > View Files. Manually select all files in the folder and delete them. Restart IE then works for me.

FYI, my IE 11's version information:

Version: 11.2430.14393.0
Update Versions: 11.0.80 (KB4343205)

Yes I did manually remove all of the files in this folder including the cookies, and it had no effect.

I am now waiting for the IT department to roll out Chrome to all the Power BI users before we go ahead with the roll out and provide comms to the users that Microsoft Power BI won't work with Microsoft Internet Explorer (ironic huh), we have already rolled it out to our Microsoft Dynamics users as it is far more efficient that I.E when using Dynamics!

I found out last week that IE shipped a regression in one of the patch updates that was causing crashes in certain scenarios. They've since rolled out a fix which shoudl address the crashes seen in PBI reports.

Such problems are not encountered on Chrome and Opera!

Im also on a software management system, so i cannot upgrade my IE.

Also my OS is:

Windows 10 version 1709 build 16299.547

@pbx & @ForcaTaico we just published a patch build that I believe addresses this issue, I tested several cases and wasn't able to repro. Can you update to the latest and let me know if you still seeing the issue?

@mgmeyer Thanks, How can I upgrade to the latest version?

It is the only version of PowerBI reporting Server available on the main download page, it is effectively a new install.

Download Power BI Report Server

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.