Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

ArcGIS Idea Removed - No Longer Going To Be Delivered

@mgmeyer

@chrisfin

Can you please explain / outline the desicion on why the ArcGIS mapping addition was removed from the ideas board. Was it cost or system capabilities? The generic messages was the same as the last item you pulled and therefore did not shed any light into the reason why.

This is the second big idea that has been closed this year. We are voting on ideas just to be told they are not going to be completed. Is anything else on the list pointless to vote on?

Lots of messages on here is about what we are planning to deliver for our end users and yet again we have to dissapoint them with a well requested feature no longer available. 

On-Premise suffers from very poor mapping capabilities as Bing maps is out of date and does not allow for shape maps, accurate plotting of post codes (UK), For United Kingdom users it is almost useless as it plots points in the wrong areas. Will you be looking to upgrade this mapping capabilities in light of closing ArcGIS on-premise?

Understand you have targets like us to meet but as a customer I must again state the poor level of service On-Premise is being given in respect to upgrades. All the work seems to be going to the cloud based version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's always hard to outline in specific details why certain decisions were made on the ideas board, since it's always a combination of technical/business items - in this particular case, the ESRI visual in particular there were significant challenges in both areas to making this happen because a lot of additional work was done to enable it in the service and it isn't "just another" custom visual.

As for the spatial maps future in the boxed product, any of those items would be added as future planned additions to the desktop and rolled into the regular server updates, or would be a custom visual offering.  For example, the Mapbox visual sample report seems to work just fine with Power BI Report Server based on my testing. 

HTH,

Chris 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
koenvm
Regular Visitor

This is so disappointing.

Default map visuals are not on par with competition. ESRI visual closes the gap on some important points so our organisation was very eager to see this happen. We now are stuck on doing (basic) GIS analyses/visualizations and BI reports separately. Other visuals as Mapbox do offer welcome additional tools, but are not capable of replacing the available ESRI toolset. 

When deciding in favor of PBRS we were really counting on this integration. On the idea board many usecases why this was a much needed feature where posted. I know this was never officially announced, but it has been present in the options setting of the software for over a year (grayed out checkbox 'Use ArcGis Maps for Power BI'). Based on this it seemed not a question 'if' but 'when' this would be available. 

jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

I want to re-iterate all that's said in this post.

We have been waiting for this feature to be delivered and the generic response was not well received.

As a company which is dependent on an on-premise solution, use a lot of spatial datasets for our analysis and is evaluating a number of different BI tools at present, this has really put a negative slant on Power BI (of which I am generally an avid supporter!).

Please give us more information on the decision, and information on the future road map for spatial analysis in Power BI Report Server.

It's always hard to outline in specific details why certain decisions were made on the ideas board, since it's always a combination of technical/business items - in this particular case, the ESRI visual in particular there were significant challenges in both areas to making this happen because a lot of additional work was done to enable it in the service and it isn't "just another" custom visual.

As for the spatial maps future in the boxed product, any of those items would be added as future planned additions to the desktop and rolled into the regular server updates, or would be a custom visual offering.  For example, the Mapbox visual sample report seems to work just fine with Power BI Report Server based on my testing. 

HTH,

Chris 

Chris,

Really appreciate the reply, however the MapBox visual does not seem to work in PBIRS March 2018.

I've just authored and published a report using the latest version of the custom visual, and when opening the report on PBIRS get a message stating "Your version of Power BI Desktop does not the support this custom visual. Please update Power BI Desktop to the latest version".

Also as far as I can see the MapBox visual does not display polygons. This is the feature which my organisation requires: the ability to show shaded polygons (e.g. thematic maps) in a report.

Do you have any suggestions on how to achieve this in the on-premise version of PBI/PBIRS?

Please help!!

Hmm - can you verify the build number of your server?  I've tried this without issue on a server build from the March release, so would be curious why this is failing for you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.