Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

An Error occurred try again later when trying to modify subscription

I am attempting to do an upgrade on Reporting Services 2012 to upgrade it to PowerBI Reporting Services 2017.

When I attempt to edit a subscription, I get an error message that says oops, an error occured, try again later.

When I look at the RSPortal_xxxxx.log I see the following.

2019-06-10 12:12:45.6858|INFO|12|Sending response. Response code DOM\Username 500, Elapsed time 0:00:00.0040419| RequestID = s_685be2a2-c124-42e1-8c12-19ba3758d78c
2019-06-10 12:13:25.7974|INFO|6|CONFIG : AccessControlAllowCredentials = [false] (env)
2019-06-10 12:13:25.7974|INFO|6|Received request POST /api/v2.0/Extensions/Model.ValidateExtensionSettings| RequestID = s_b6e58aad-1a8c-42dc-968f-f923b502bde3
2019-06-10 12:13:25.8130|INFO|7|Sending response. Response code DOM\Username 200, Elapsed time 0:00:00.0178095| RequestID = s_b6e58aad-1a8c-42dc-968f-f923b502bde3
2019-06-10 12:13:25.8130|INFO|6|CONFIG : AccessControlAllowCredentials = [false] (env)
2019-06-10 12:13:25.8130|INFO|6|Received request PUT /api/v2.0/subscriptions%28d91760f6-730d-4393-b1de-92a2f5c95e64%29| RequestID = s_fb5ea4e3-6b85-4a47-a129-0fabb864e6e3
2019-06-10 12:13:25.8287|ERROR|6|OData exception occurred: System.InvalidOperationException: (processing): Adding more than one data source with null original name
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RSTrace.DefaultRSTraceInternal.Fail(String componentName, String message)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RSTrace.Assert(Boolean condition, String message)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.DataSourceInfoCollection.Add(DataSourceInfo dataSource)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.DBInterface.InnerGetDataSources(Guid itemID, Boolean& itemIDisModelID)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.DBInterface.GetDataSourcesAndResolveModelLink(Guid itemID)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.SubscriptionDB.GetSubscription(Guid id, IPathTranslator pathTranslator, Boolean isCacheRefreshPlanExpected)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.SubscriptionManager.GetSubscription(Guid id, Boolean includeEncryptedSettings)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SubscriptionService.GetSubscription(IPrincipal userPrincipal, Guid key)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SubscriptionService.UpdateSubscription(IPrincipal userPrincipal, Guid key, Subscription subscription)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V1.Controllers.SubscriptionsController.PutEntity(String key, Subscription entity)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Controllers.Reflection.EntitySetReflectionODataController`1.Put(ODataPath oDataPath, T value)
at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext().| RequestID = s_fb5ea4e3-6b85-4a47-a129-0fabb864e6e3
2019-06-10 12:13:25.8287|INFO|8|Sending response. Response code DOM\Username 500, Elapsed time 0:00:00.0036945| RequestID = s_fb5ea4e3-6b85-4a47-a129-0fabb864e6e3

I see an error that cays "Adding more than one data source with null original name"

I go into the dataset for this report.  I can validate the dataset and it works fine.

Thoughts?

Thank you, Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the answer after reading a myriad of articles.

The problem for me is that the RSExecRole was created without any grants added to it.

So, I found this very helpful article that tells you how the RSExecRole should be setup:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/create-the-rsexecrole?view=sql-serv...

The bottom line is that you need to run this script.

USE master;
GO
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.database_principals WHERE [type] = 'R' AND [name] = 'RSExecRole') BEGIN
CREATE ROLE [RSExecRole];
END
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.xp_sqlagent_is_starting TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.xp_sqlagent_notify TO [RSExecRole];
GO
USE msdb;
GO
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.database_principals WHERE [type] = 'R' AND [name] = 'RSExecRole') BEGIN
END
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_category TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_job TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_jobschedule TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_jobserver TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_jobstep TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_delete_job TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_help_category TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_help_job TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_help_jobschedule TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_verify_job_identifiers TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT SELECT ON dbo.syscategories TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT SELECT ON dbo.sysjobs TO [RSExecRole];
GO

After that I could edit subscriptions and users could create and edit them.

Hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the answer after reading a myriad of articles.

The problem for me is that the RSExecRole was created without any grants added to it.

So, I found this very helpful article that tells you how the RSExecRole should be setup:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/create-the-rsexecrole?view=sql-serv...

The bottom line is that you need to run this script.

USE master;
GO
END
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.xp_sqlagent_is_starting TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.xp_sqlagent_notify TO [RSExecRole];
GO
USE msdb;
GO
END
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_category TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_job TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_jobschedule TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_jobserver TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_add_jobstep TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_delete_job TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_help_category TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_help_job TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_help_jobschedule TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_verify_job_identifiers TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT SELECT ON dbo.syscategories TO [RSExecRole];
GRANT SELECT ON dbo.sysjobs TO [RSExecRole];
GO

After that I could edit subscriptions and users could create and edit them.

Hope this helps someone.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.