Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternative solution to Kerberos delegation for a PBI reports published on Report Server

Hi,

I'm implementing some PBI reports to publish on PBI Report Server.

These reports read from a SSAS 2016 Tabular model.

I need to solve the double-hop issue but avoiding to implement Kerberos constrained delegation, if possible.

I remember for SSAS Tabular the chance to specify the EffectiveUserName string property inside the string connection for the data source.

Any suggests to me in order to solve this issue, please?

P.S.: I can add that Power BI Report Server and SSAS 2016 Tabular are installed on the same virtual machine.

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
amassip
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

SSAS and PBI Report Server are on the same machine but I have all the same the error of constraint kerberos.

The error only happens when access remotely from other computer.

Thanks

muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Anonymous,

you can impersonating some user on SSAS by authenticating with a users with admin permissions and checking the checkbox bellow (see the Image).

In any case, i would recommend the Kerberos approach because it works even if the user uses Power BI Desktop.

Avoid kerberos.png

Just one point: If the SSAS and Power BI are on the same Server (considering that the tabular don't use direct query) you DON'T need to configure Kerberos delegarion. In this case, you don't have the double-hop problem. If that is the case, just check 'As the user viewing the report' radiobutton.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

inside PBI desktop I've created a live connection to the SSAS Tabular model.

Also if SSAS and PBI Report Server are on the same machine I've the issue concerned the Kerberos constrained delegation

to implement.

Thanks

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my research, to solve the double-hop issue, apart from configuring Kerberos authentication, you could try editing the report data source and storing the user/pass credentials for a user.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuliana, I've already tried what you suggest with success, but in this way I can only stored the credentials of an unique user.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.