Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smithry3
Frequent Visitor

All Custom Visuals Do Not Render in Browser

Hello, We're having problems with any custom visuals imported from the marketplace.  These custom visuals do not render in Chrome, Edge, or even Firefox.  There is no error, the visual is just blank.  The data appears to be there, because I can click around and see the filter pane change.  It looks fine in Power BI Desktop.  

I just upgraded from January 2021 release to the September 2021 release to see if it would fix the issue but the custom visuals still do not render in the browser.  I feel like it may have something to do with same-site cookies but I'm not sure.  Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks!

Ryan

23 REPLIES 23
jasonmaskell

Found a solution to this. The only way we resolved this, was to delete (or rename) the "Edge" folder on your local computer, within your %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft 

This clears all your settings, cache, etc... for the Edge browser. But is the only thing we found that worked. Clearing cache/settings wasn't enough.

ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Icey 

Just tried with the 'January 2022' version of PBIRS unfortunately the custom visual still doesn't show.

Regards Taico

Regards Taico

Hi again, 

Has anyone found a solution or workaround? 

Hi @Icey  

I still have the issue.

Power BI Report Server (January 2021) Version 1.10.7737.32652. 
Edge version 97.0.1072.55.

One thing I have found is that if I open Edge InPrivate. The custom visuals will show the first time. But if I hit refresh they will disappear.

Regards Taico

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smithry3 , @Tektronics , @ForcaTaico , @Andymeyer ,

Power BI Report Server January 2022 has been released. Please check if this version could fix the issue. Looking forward to your reply~

Change log: 

Change log for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Feature Summary:

Power BI Report Server January 2022 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Download page:

Download Microsoft Power BI Report Server - January 2022 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Update:

This known issue is not about PBIRS. But my PBIRS has no issue. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

For the latest news, please see @Tektronics 's reply:

Right now, MS looks like is creating a new patch to address the issue and also have some troubleshootings happening with Google Chrome and EDGE issues related to cookies. 

=======================================================

Hi @smithry3 , @Tektronics , @ForcaTaico , @Andymeyer ,

This issue has been submitted internally (#ICM: 273587832) and has published a fix to the custom visual issue. It should be available by 11/24 end of day (PST). Please check if it works now.

And you can also find it on Power BI Support Page.

Icey_0-1637809297235.png

My test result:

Icey_1-1637811650005.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Icey 

Sounds great. But I don't see the download yet. It states that the last version is from 11/15/2021:
Download Microsoft Power BI Report Server- September 2021 from Official Microsoft Download Center
I'm I looking at the right place? ...and just beeing impatient.

Regards Taico

Hi @ForcaTaico ,

There is no need to upgrade RS. Please try to restart your server and check if the fix has been deployed.

If the issue is still there please let me know.

Best Regards,

Icey

Hi again @Icey,

Still no luck. I got IT to restart the Server (Our PBIRS is not connected to the Internet). The issue still persist.

Regards Taico

Hi @ForcaTaico ,

Sorry for the unpleasant experience. But it works on my side. And my tested versions are:

Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server)

• Version: 2.97.863.0 (September 2021), Released: September 27, 2021

Power BI Report Server

• Version: 1.12.7977.29537 (Build 15.0.1107.165), Released: November 9, 2021

Microsoft Edge

• Version 96.0.1054.34 (Official build) (64-bit)

Google Chrome

• Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit)

What's your versions? The same ones?

If not, please update to the same version and test it again.

If it is the same, it is suggested to create a support ticket to get further help.

Icey_2-1638174959803.png

Reference: How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Icey

Hi @Icey ,

My versions are:
PBIRS: Version 1.12.7977.29537 (September 2021)
Power BI Desktop for RS: Version: 2.97.802.0 64-bit (september 2021) - Not the same as yours!

I have just downloaded a new version from Download Microsoft Power BI Report Server- September 2021 from Official Microsoft Download Center but I still get the 2.97.802.0 version. Where do I get the version you have?

Also my Edge is 95.0.1020.53 but i cannot upgrade it my self. I will talk to IT about getting a newer version.

Regards Taico

Hi @ForcaTaico ,

For Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server) - 2.97.863.0, please download it from here: 

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - September 2021) from Off....

Icey_1-1638175909709.png

There is an issue of the version on this page and I have reported it internally.

Icey_0-1638175816467.png

Best Regards,

Icey

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ForcaTaico ,

Update:

The version of Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server - September 2021) on Download Microsoft Power BI Report Server- September 2021 from Official Microsoft Download Center has been updated to 2.97.863.0.

Please check.

PBID.png

@Icey wrote:

There is an issue of the version on this page and I have reported it internally.

Icey_0-1638175816467.png

Best Regards,

Icey

Hi @Icey 

I have upgraded my 'Power BI Desktop (for RS)' and Egde to same version as you have. The issue still persist. 

I might just wait for january 2022 upgrade and see if I still have the issue at that point. 

Thanks for trying to solve my issue though.

Regards Taico

We have the same issue. The custom visuals are visible when I use Mozilla Firefox (91.11.0esr) and are not visible when I use Microsoft Edge (Versie 104.0.1293.47). Both are running on the same client.

We use the May 2022 Power BI Report Server (1.14.8179.37378) and the May 2022 Power BI Desktop for Reporing Services (2.105.961.0 64-bit)

The Report Server does not have access to the internet and the propterty "EnableCDNVisuals" is set to "false"

The custom visuals that I use are:
- advanceCard
- chicletSlicer
- WordCloud

Results in Edge

mhofman_0-1662467462260.png

Results in FireFox

mhofman_1-1662467483269.png

Kind regards,

Marco

Hi @ForcaTaico ,

I tested it again these days, but still can't reproduce your issue.

You can wait for the Jan 2022 version as you said. Or, you can open a support ticket as I mentioned above.

It is suggested to create a support ticket to get further help.

Icey_0-1638865882517.png

Reference: How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Icey

You still wrong about it because the link you paste and picture is regarding Power BI Premium and this comment is about Power BI On Premises or Report Server.

Power BI Azure might have no issue since users connect directly to internet but On Premises is a separate history since servers usually are disconnected from Network.

I have worked with Product team of On Premises and we found 18 bugs for the latest September 2021 patch which is horrible, a few people can wait but i cant, my company have 20.000 users of Power BI On Premises and release a patch like that is a disrespect.

Right now, MS looks like is creating a new patch to address the issue and also have some troubleshootings happening with Google Chrome and EDGE issues related to cookies. Pretty sure that JAN 2022 wont fix those issues.

Hi @Tektronics ,

Thanks for your sharing about this message. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Right now, MS looks like is creating a new patch to address the issue and also have some troubleshootings happening with Google Chrome and EDGE issues related to cookies. 

Best Regards,

Icey

I am still experiencing this issue, though I think we've isolated part of the cause of the issue in our environment.  When we go through our reverse proxy appliance, the way all of our web apps do, the custom visual still doesn't appear.  If I bypass and go directly against the power bi report server, the custom visuals work as expected.  I think it has something to do with the cookie that is being delivered to the browser.  It would be nice if the January 2022 release resolves this issue but I'm not hopeful.

Ryan

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smithry3 ,

When we go through our reverse proxy appliance, the way all of our web apps do, the custom visual still doesn't appear.  If I bypass and go directly against the power bi report server, the custom visuals work as expected.  I think it has something to do with the cookie that is being delivered to the browser. 

Thanks for sharing. Hope Jan 2022 version will fix the issue. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Icey

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.