Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Admin Profile over riding report parameters when viewing report

Hi

I am currently hosting a report on the Power BI Server and sharing it to users within my company. For standard users, the report shows just fine as they are set as read-only and are not admins on the server.

But when someone who is an admin such as myself access the report will show me the report without the filters applied. I have used the manage rolls section within Modeling within the report to make the report pull in the user's names to filter down the data and then added the corresponding users into the allocated group within the Power BI Server and as mentioned above this works for standard users.

How do I get the hosted report to Ignore the fact our profiles are admins and view the report with the Roles filtered pre-applied?

Staff View:

Housden96_0-1638533190131.png

How I'm viewing it as admin even though I'm using a staff link:

Housden96_1-1638533242753.png

Thanks

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

How do I get the hosted report to Ignore the fact our profiles are admins and view the report with the Roles filtered pre-applied?

Whether you are an admin should not make a difference to report filters unless what you are talking about is using security roles to apply the filters. Then it is normal that admins do not get role restrictions applied.

So if you are talking about security roles you have 2 possible work arounds:

1) Use the filters pane to manually filter the data you want to see

2) Get a second windows account created and set that up with admin rights and remove your normal user from the admin role. This will give you extra security since you will not always be running as an admin and will let your normal account have security role filters applied to it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you mean logging in through an employee to display the content under the corresponding administrator privileges? You need to re-add its members to the role and assign permissions, only users with "publisher" or "content administrator" permissions to the report will have the row level security option available and will not be grayed out.

Another thing to note is the connection mode of the data source, the Direct query mode has certain restrictions on the management of RLS.

For more details, you can read related document.

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out and provide related operation screenshoots. Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Stephen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Whether you are an admin should not make a difference to report filters unless what you are talking about is using security roles to apply the filters. Then it is normal that admins do not get role restrictions applied.

So if you are talking about security roles you have 2 possible work arounds:

1) Use the filters pane to manually filter the data you want to see

2) Get a second windows account created and set that up with admin rights and remove your normal user from the admin role. This will give you extra security since you will not always be running as an admin and will let your normal account have security role filters applied to it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors