Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jasel
Helper II
Helper II

Adding a Role to Power BI Report Server

I need to create a role that will give our orginizational leaders browser access to all folders, dashboards, and reports.

The documentation provided by MS is actually for SSRS 2017, which is not Power BI Report Server even if it was built off of it from a backend perspective.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/role-definitions-create-delete-or-m...

1. In Object Explorer, expand a report server node.

2. Expand the Security folder.

3. If you're creating an item-level role definition, right-click Roles > New Role.

Or, if you're creating a system-level role definition, right-click System Roles > New System Role.

If I open up the Security folder under the instance I have Server Roles.  Under the ReportServer database I have Database Roles, and Application Roles - this last one is empty.

Is someone able to provide some steps to properly add a browser role that will grant a specific AD group access to everything?

To follow up: Is there a way for this role to NOT BE REMOVED by content managers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
saglamtimur
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

The documentatition is not clear where to connect, so confusing. From SSMS, you must connect to "Reporting Services" server type, not "Database Engine"

4.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
saglamtimur
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

The documentatition is not clear where to connect, so confusing. From SSMS, you must connect to "Reporting Services" server type, not "Database Engine"

4.PNG

@saglamtimur - ahh...that makes total sense.  I 100% even forgot about being able to connect to SSRS that way.  Thank you sir.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.