Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shera276
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ability to use Themes and VersionControl in Report Server

Hi two unrelated questions:

1. PowerBI Service links to OneDrive/Sharepoint where I can post new pbix in sharepoint and it automatically updates in the PowerBI Service.  We use sharepoint to maintain version control so it's great that Sharepoint and PowerBI Service link together. Now the problem is that we moved to Report Server.  I have been unable to find this capabilty in Report Server.  Essentially, Sharepoint and Report server isn't linked.  So everytime I have a new update, I must upload it to Report Server and then update sharepoint with the updated pbix (to maintain version control).  I can't just do it once likeI did with the Service. Any workaround? Or perhaps the feature is available but I missed it.

2. Another feature I find missing is the use of Themes.  With the regular desktop version (not optimized for Report Server), I was allowed to import color Themes.  This is useful b/c I could load my companies colors to the desktop and all my visuals take on the colors themes I imported.  The Desktop optimized for Report Server doesn't have this or I missed it.  My work around is that I open the pbix in the regular Desktop version and import the Theme.  Then open it back up on the optimized for Report Server version and publish from there.  Can someone confirm the feature isn't available or does anyone have a better work around?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shera276,

Based on my test, the above two functionalities are not supported by Power BI Report Server right now. For any feature request, you could submit ideas at this page, if it is mentioned by many users, our product team will consider adding it to future release.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

With regards to themes. We prepared a "template" PBIX in the regular version of desktop with our comapny colour scheme loaded in and applied. No data sources but a couple of company logos and some text boxes with the right font, colours and type sizes.

This file opened in the SSRS PBI Desktop app and all the colour information works fine.

So you can carry some theme elements to SSRS based PBI Desktop.

With regards to version control in Report Server, We usually download a PBIX from the report server, rename the existing one to indicate the version and then after amending the version we have open save it over the top. We also keep most of our PBIX files in our TFS repo alongside our DB, SSIS, SSRS and other projects.

Not perfect but both workable workarounds

regards

Steve

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

With regards to themes. We prepared a "template" PBIX in the regular version of desktop with our comapny colour scheme loaded in and applied. No data sources but a couple of company logos and some text boxes with the right font, colours and type sizes.

This file opened in the SSRS PBI Desktop app and all the colour information works fine.

So you can carry some theme elements to SSRS based PBI Desktop.

With regards to version control in Report Server, We usually download a PBIX from the report server, rename the existing one to indicate the version and then after amending the version we have open save it over the top. We also keep most of our PBIX files in our TFS repo alongside our DB, SSIS, SSRS and other projects.

Not perfect but both workable workarounds

regards

Steve

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shera276,

Based on my test, the above two functionalities are not supported by Power BI Report Server right now. For any feature request, you could submit ideas at this page, if it is mentioned by many users, our product team will consider adding it to future release.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.